Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

45th Rattray's Sikhs

flissoh

I'm researching a relative, Ramsay Rainsford-Hannay who was first commissioned into the 45 Sikhs in August 1903, served in Mesopotamia during WW1 and was killed 1st February 1917. Any information or pointers would be much appreciated.

Felicity

Hi Felicity,

I do have some information regarding your relative but cannot access it at this moment. I will be in touch later, probably this evening.

Robert

Felicity

Greetings

May I suggest that you purchase the regimental history, see:

http://www.naval-military-press.com/regimental-history-of-the-45th-rattray-s-sikhs-during-the-great-war-and-after.-1914-1921.html

Ramsay's gallant death is described on page 74.

Harry

Hi Felicity,

I carried out some research on Major Rainsford-Hannay some time ago and found that there is a brass memorial to him in the church at Kirkmabreck, Creetown, Kirkcudbrightshire. He has a mention in the regimental history on page 74, as Harry has already pointed out, this reads:

"The bombers of 'B' and 'C' Companies had been previously detailed to clear the 'Quadrilateral' (P.13.b-P.13.n). Captain R.Rainsford-Hannay was with them. They accomplished their task and advanced to assist the leading companies on the 'Bank'. It was here that the intrepid Captain Rainsford-Hannay was killed, setting a grand example." This took place on 1st February,1917.

Captain Rainsford-Hannay was also mentioned in despatches following his death.

The 'Bank' turned out to be a deep nullah and it was here that the Turks were found in large numbers.

I hope that this helps,

Robert

Brill, thank you Robert. Strange things they say in military communications, I would have thought he'd have set a better example if he'd survived? Detail about the 'bank' much appreciated.

Brill, thank you Robert. Strange things they say in military communications, I would have thought he'd have set a better example if he'd survived? Detail about the 'bank' much appreciated.

Glad to be of assistance. If you Google his name there is lots more information on Ramsay and the family in general, although you probably have most of this already? I did also locate a photo of him included in a group of the British and Indian officers of the 45th Sikhs taken during WW1. Do you have any photos of him?

Robert

A photo??? wonderful. No I haven't any, would love one... I'm looking at the five brothers mainly: Frederick, John, Archibald, Ramsay and Donald...

My email is: flissoh@netcourrier.com if you wished to share the photo????

Best wishes.

Felicity

A photo??? wonderful. No I haven't any, would love one... I'm looking at the five brothers mainly: Frederick, John, Archibald, Ramsay and Donald...

Best wishes.

Felicity

I will send you a copy although this may not be until the weekend.

Regards, Robert

Superstar! thank you so much. You don't happen to know about 53rd Sikhs that Donald was with as well do you?

All the best.

Felicity

Felicity,

Here is what I can tell you about Donald Rainsford-Hannay (you may know all this already):

Born 16th October 1885, educated at Wellington College & RMC, Sandhurst.

First commissioned 18th January 1905

Appointed to the I.A. and the 53rd Sikhs 11th October 1906.

Promoted Lieutenant 18th April 1907.

Served on the North West Frontier in 1908 and earned the India General Service medal 1908-35 bar North West Frontier 1908.

Appointed Adjutant, 53rd Sikhs 15th November 1913.

Promoted Captain 18th January 1914.

Captain, appointed Brigade Major 20th September 1914 until 27th September 1915 - 69th Infantry Brigade, 23rd Division.

(He was possibly wounded at this point)

Appointed a Balloon Officer with the Royal Flying Corps 20th March 1916.

On 31st July 1916 he was appointed commandant of a Kite Balloon school of instruction.

Promoted temporary Major 5th December 1916 while still in the above role, a role it looks like he held until the end of the war.

Appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire as a Major with the RAF in the London Gazette of 1 January 1919

Promoted Major ?

Retired from the Indian Army a Major, O.B.E. 22nd May 1920.

He was later Lieutenant-Colonel, OBE, Indian Army Medical Corps who died 27 March 1946 in Pakistan. Buried in Karachi.

I hope this helps.

Matthew

Best wishes.

Felicity

The photos have been sent--hope they are ok?

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert, yes thank you very much, I replied to your email, what a handsome feller he was! Much appreciated.

And many thanks to Matthew for his information on Donald, what an adventurous career he had! An interesting family altogether, they had intriguing antecedants too when Jane Hannay eloped with Thomas Rainsford (or perhaps the other way around) and they ended up on St Helena with Napoleon.

As always thank you both for your kind assistance.

Felicity

• 7 months later...

Hi Felicity, if you would like a photo of the plaque showing the 45th Rattrays, taken of the Basra Memorial, then please message me your email address and I will happily post on for you. It shows Ramsay's (Major) name on there.

All the best

Darren