Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

newspaper lists

jamie 1978

I understand that lists of prisoners were placed in newspapers. Does anyone know who would have put these lists into the paper, was it family or the military?

What kind of paper would they be found in. Any information would be appreciated

Jamie

Jamie

I don't know who submitted the information but certainly the information can be found in some local papers. If you try your local library they may well have the papers in some sort of archive. Mine uses microfilm. The modern day successor to the local paper has the information archived as well; I use the library because it is only 5 miles away whereas the newspaper office is 25 miles away. It all comes down to time and money. ;)

Garth

Seems to me the process is:- family get notice from War Office that a man is 'missing'. That is usually reported by the family to the local paper. Hence family details included.

If he is POW (say March 21, 1918) you can usually expect several weeks later to find a clipping roughy similar to these ones.

These follow a very similar pattern:- The one annoying thing about this stage of the war is the lack of btn. identification! Up to end of 1916, men will usually be described as being with x Btn RIR ... from 1917 on, it's just down to regiment.

However if men have been wounded and mentioned before you can backtrack if neccessary.

Corporal James Herbison, Royal Irish Rifles, has sent a postcard to his sister who resides at Hill Street, ballymena, informing her that he is a prisoner at Limburg Camp, Germany. He is unwounded and well.

and

Mr. William Leetch 54 Queen Street, Ballymena, has received a communication from his only son, Sgt. Wm. Leetch, Royal Irish Rifles, stating that he is a prisoner and dated April 2. He enlisted in 1915 and went to the front at the latter end of last year. He was formerly a clerk in the office of Messrs. Kane Bros. Ballymena Foundry and was well known in local football circles having played for both South End Rangers and Summerfield.

Des