Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

H.Daskin Notts and Derby

john gregory

Could anyone tell me if 203335 H.Dakin M.M, 1/5th Battalion Notts and Derby if his details are on Ancestry. Thanks JG

His service record is there. Christian name Henry (known as Harry), member of the Derbyshire Yeomanry, transferred to 1st/ 5th Sherwood Foresters, went to France, lived at Hall Farm, Hasland near Chesterfield? Some of it is very unclear but if you would like a quick summary of the more legible pages, happy to oblige.

That is excellent, thank you very much. I thought he was in the Derbyshire Yeomanry I have a photo of him wearing his Yeomanry uniform, that is what was misleading me with him being a MM winner with the 5th N/Derby. JG

Poor man was kicked by a horse during 1915 and had to go to hospital where the injury was described by doctors as "trivial" - for a Yeoman, I am sure that the injury to his pride was far from trivial!

2 December 1916.

Enlisted in the Yeomanry on 19 October 1914, made L/ Cpl in 2nd/ 1st Bn 1 June 1915 and Actg Cpl on 27 August 1915.

To France on 20 September 1916, reverting to rank of Pte on joining Expeditionary Force, transferred to 1st/ 5th Notts & Derby on 2 December 1916, made L/ Cpl on 22 May 1917 and awarded his Military Medal - date is hard to read but it was 19th day of a month in 1918 (possibly March) and sent back home on 12 October 1918.