Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Submarine E20 and the death of Stoker Darcy Dendy

MrG

Hello IIona.  Welcome to the Forum.  You say you have seen the Log Book of Lt./Cdr Warren - great, must have made a good read. 

If I can be of help in any way - will be pleased to !

Sadsac

Hi Sadsac,

Thank you for kind response. Very kind of you to take your time to come back to me.

I'm presently on holiday In Italy where I came across the log book by Lt./Cdr Warren which absolutely fascinated me. It contained entries of daily activities, weather, repairs but most of all beautiful watercolour drawings of Soundings and hand drawn coastal maps of Nippon (Japan) and the China Sea. The log book also shows that he was on other ships - HMS Albion, HMS Cressy and HMS Fearless during 1903-1904.

I came away really motivated and excited to find out more about this man, discovering on your forum and various other websites that he had a remarkable naval career and he was POW too. If you can help me, could you provide any information about him - his birth, where he lived and died, education, interests, what he did after retiring from the navy. If you could share any photos of him and if you could explain what was his MBE award was for, that would be most appreciated.

I am also curious to know how Lt./Cdr Warren's log book ended up in a small museum in a glass cabinet and not stayed in the hands of the Admiralty. I wonder if he had a family and if so would they be interested to know or see this log book of this remarkable man. 

I can provide you my email address if you wish, I'm just so happy that I had the opportunity to learn something new about a person, ships,submarines and battles that I knew nothing about before and I have now become very passionate and learned about the Navy, all because of Lt./Cdr C.H Warren's 1903-1904 log book and this forum site. For that I thank you- you have made me an ordinary teacher more knowledgeable about the Navy and seamanship.

Thank You

Ilona

Clyfford Harris Warren was born on 13 October 1885, the son of Charles Harris Warren, a solicitor, and Edith Harris of The Brambles, Langley Avenue, Surbiton, Surrey.

Clyfford Harris married first Kathleen Gordon (1860-1928) in 1924. He married secondly Frances Phoebe Withers (1880- 2 Feb.1945) in 1930. There were, apparently,no children.

Clyfford Harris Warren of 114, Hampton Road, Twickenham, Middx. died at Gloucester House Nursing Home, Hampton Hill, Twickenham on 8 November 1949.

Hi Harry,

Thank you for kind reply and information on Clyfford Harris Warren. It's sad to read that his first wife died of only four years marriage and his second wife of fifteen years marriage also. He also ended his days in a nursing home perhaps alone and forgotten - who knows? Considering  he dedicated his life to the Navy and fought for his Country. This might explain why his log book is in a museum in Lake Como, perhaps auctioned or gifted. Are there any photographs of him apart the Google newspaper picture with the crew on the ship? I wonder also if there's a War Memorial, plaque, gravestone of him? If there is I would like to pay my respects.

It's been a fascinating journey for me so far to learn about the illustrious career/life of this man. Have you seen any of his log books? I feel very privileged indeed.

Again,

Thank You.

Ilona

Edited by Ilona

3 hours ago, sadsac said:

Hello IIona.  Welcome to the Forum.  You say you have seen the Log Book of Lt./Cdr Warren - great, must have made a good read. 

If I can be of help in any way - will be pleased to !

Sadsac

Hi Sadsac, I apologise if I'm replying to the Forum incorrectly. I'm not sure if this method is right way, I have responded by typing into an empty box is this right? If not can you see my post above.

Ilona

Edited by Ilona

The information in post#53 was from a tree on ancestry, but looking at it independently, his married life was even more tragic he had in fact married first Hilda Delamaine Stanley in March 1915 and she died, aged 32, in 1918. He also appears to have married for a fourth time in 1947 to one Ivy A. Dobree in the Surrey, N.E. District.

Warren C. H., marriage Surrey Advertiser 13.3.1915.JPG

Edited by HarryBrook

Hi Harry,

Thank you for the newspaper cutting showing the marriage of Lt.Cdr Warren and information that he had married for the forth time. Yes, I agree with you that his married life seems tragic. You know, I have in the past two days of my holiday I have learnt so much about this extraordinary man. Is there a memorial or plaque with his name on it anywhere, is he remembered anywhere I wonder?

I am also researching all the ships and submarines that he commanded or served on. His log book I read a couple of days ago recorded his work, movements and many naval aspects on various ships he served on. I'm beginning to believe that I stumbled on a fantastic Commander and that perhaps not many people know about. A truly remarkable fellow I believe.

Ilona

Hilda Delamaine Warren is buried in Wootton Fitzpaine, near Lyme Regis, Dorset. http://www.opcdorset.org/WoottonFitzpaineFiles/WottonFitzpaineMIs.htm

No "Stanley" burials, and the wedding clipping gives her parents address as Devonshire, so unsure of why this churchyard was chosen, perhaps they were living there in 1918? Perhaps died in childbirth?

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the link on Hilda Delamaine Warren. I am mystified as well. I wonder where Lt. Cdr Clyfford Warren is buried?

Again many thanks

Ilona

IIona.  Much info already given you by other Forum members. Great `little' Forum ain't it !! Here are details of naval career of Warren ;

WARREN Clyfford Harris. LT CDR.

B.11. IN COMMAND. 1. 2.09. ONYX.

B.1. 1. 2.09. FORTH.

C.1. 8. 2.13. THAMES.

C.1. 16. 5.15. IN COMMAND.

Born 13.10.1885. Cdt 15.05.1900, Mid 30.09.1901, SubLt 30.11.1904,

Lt 30.11.1905, LtCdr 30.11.1913, Retired List 20.12.1920.

HMS Thames 14.05.1906 For submarine training

HMS Forth 25.02.1908 For command of submarine

HMS Onyx 01.02.1909 CO HMs/m B11

HMS Mercury 01.08.1910 CO HMs/m A12

General Service 12.01.1911 HMS Triumph

HMS Thames 08.02.1913 CO HMs/m C1

HMS Dolphin 01.07.1915 CO HMs/m E20

[Completing, Vickers]

05.11.1915 Prisoner of War

HMS Dolphin 01.12.1918 For submarine duties

HMS Royal Arthur 17.02.1919 In Command

HMS Pandora 14.01.1920 In Command

30.08.1915, HMS/m E20 completed, after trials she joined HMS Adamant with Special Service Flotilla 1 at Mudros.

06.11.1915, Having made its way through the Dardanelles to the Sea of Marmara to rendezvous with the French submarine Turquoise HMS/m E20 was sunk by torpedo from UB14 the rendezvous plans having been discovered when Turquoise was captured by the Turkish forces having run aground. There were only nine survivors from HMS/m E20 including the Commanding Officer.

27.12.1939, WW2 service, HMS Lynx.

12.03.1940, HMS Claverhouse

05.11.1941, HMS Tedworth

15.12.1941, During December he returned to the Retired List probably on health grounds.

AWARDS. Member of the Order of the British Empire

ADM 196 / 143 / 560 D.o.B ; 131085 D.o.A ; 150500 LIEUTENANT

ADM 196 / 49 / 304 D.o.A ; 150500 COMMANDER(Rtd)

See next Sadsac

IIona.  

You will see at bottom of last ADM 196 numbers.  These are PRO/NA files / details / Service Record of Warren.  They are available `on-line' for £3.50 or 25P if you go to Kew, London to research further.

I Post such info here so that all may be so informed.

Award(s) to Warren follow.

Sadsac 

Edited by sadsac

From Post #53

Clyfford Harris Warren of 114, Hampton Road, Twickenham, Middx. died at Gloucester House Nursing Home, Hampton Hill, Twickenham on 8 November 1949.

With a home address and the Nursing Home both being in Twickenham, I'd guess he would have been buried in Twickenham, but no details other than a guess.

• 2 years later...
On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 01:06, sonicsniper said:

Hi Mr G.

My grandfather was one of the survivors on E20 i have the full list of crew and a short history on each seaman.

If you have any info i could have would be great, or if i can send you what i have, You are more than welcome.

As far as pictures i only have the one in the docs. Also if anybody has any information of any of the crew or where the hospital and prison camps are i would really appreciate it all.

My Granddads name . Leading stoker fist class Joseph Embery.

Regards Sonic

Hi Sonic,  My Great Uncle Harry Stanford was killed on the E20,  I have been going through some old photos, and memorabilia and came across a post card from International Committee of the Red Cross. Prisoners of War Agency- This confirms Joseph Emberys' internment at the Marine hospital Constantinople, in good health.

It was in my grans possession and I think she was sent it when she enquired about her brother and the rest of the crew. If you would like this I would be glad to send it to you.   Also this is a photo of Harry Stanford we have on our wall, I have his medals and a cap badge with E20 Submarine written on it.

WIN_20190218_21_28_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190218_21_28_23_Pro.jpg

harry stanford.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 21/06/2014 at 03:06, sonicsniper said:

Hi Mr G.

My grandfather was one of the survivors on E20 i have the full list of crew and a short history on each seaman.

If you have any info i could have would be great, or if i can send you what i have, You are more than welcome.

As far as pictures i only have the one in the docs. Also if anybody has any information of any of the crew or where the hospital and prison camps are i would really appreciate it all.

My Granddads name . Leading stoker fist class Joseph Embery.

Regards Sonic

Hello, i am very new to this site. İ am currently researching historical shipwrecks within the territorial waters of Turkey and was in the process of looking into the story of HMS E-20 as i came across this page. Sure, i can find information on wikipedia and wrecksite . eu about the submarine, but its only surface level information and not detailed to my liking (i give a great importance to detail while researching). So here is the point i am trying to make. Does anyone have more detailed information about HMS E-20, such as additional pictures (i already have a copy of the one on wikipedia) as well as possible accounts from the surviving crew members (describing the sinking)? İ would greatly appreciate the assistance. Thanks for listening to me.

Note=İ have also checked the Ottoman archives for this and found not much (other than the torpedo launched by UB-14 had scored a direct hit at the conning tower and the sinking was almost instantly as the sub ''dissappeared in a white colored smoke''). Hell, i even tried to talk to Selçuk Kolay (a Turkish researcher who is researching wrecks from the Gallipoli Campaign and located some of them, including the Hythe) and he said that the wreck is located somewhere off Palatia (a location on the Marmara İsland, Turkey) at a possible depth of around 400-900 meters (unfortunately its exact location is not discovered yet).

12 hours ago, mavzerli93 said:

Hello, i am very new to this site. İ am currently researching historical shipwrecks within the territorial waters of Turkey and was in the process of looking into the story of HMS E-20 as i came across this page. Sure, i can find information on wikipedia and wrecksite . eu about the submarine, but its only surface level information and not detailed to my liking (i give a great importance to detail while researching). So here is the point i am trying to make. Does anyone have more detailed information about HMS E-20, such as additional pictures (i already have a copy of the one on wikipedia) as well as possible accounts from the surviving crew members (describing the sinking)? İ would greatly appreciate the assistance. Thanks for listening to me.

Note=İ have also checked the Ottoman archives for this and found not much (other than the torpedo launched by UB-14 had scored a direct hit at the conning tower and the sinking was almost instantly as the sub ''dissappeared in a white colored smoke''). Hell, i even tried to talk to Selçuk Kolay (a Turkish researcher who is researching wrecks from the Gallipoli Campaign and located some of them, including the Hythe) and he said that the wreck is located somewhere off Palatia (a location on the Marmara İsland, Turkey) at a possible depth of around 400-900 meters (unfortunately its exact location is not discovered yet).

There is a reasonably detailed description of the sinking in Lorey (Der Krieg zur See, Der Krieg in den türkischen Gewässern. Erster Band: Die Mittelmeer-Division).

The NMRN have some material. Search the on-line catalogue using "HMS e20" (some of the results may not be relevant:

https://collections.nmrn.org.uk/search/simple

As much as I have time for at present.

20 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

There is a reasonably detailed description of the sinking in Lorey (Der Krieg zur See, Der Krieg in den türkischen Gewässern. Erster Band: Die Mittelmeer-Division).

The NMRN have some material. Search the on-line catalogue using "HMS e20" (some of the results may not be relevant:

https://collections.nmrn.org.uk/search/simple

As much as I have time for at present.

thank you :)  its a start at least