Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Submarine E20 and the death of Stoker Darcy Dendy

MrG

Surprisingly 2 out of the 25 men on our villages WW1 War Memorial are submariners. You kind people have been most helpful in helping me with Stoker Alfred Phillips and the E18 and I am now trying to complete the story of the other man - Stoker 1st Class Darcy Dendy lost on the E20. I have his service record and a bit on the loss of E20 but was wondering if any crew photographs exist for this submarine and just what the story was regarding its loss (I understand it was torpedoed)

Thanks

Hello MrG. Full marks to you for commemorating your local fallen.

Find here submarine details of Stoker Dendy ;

DENDY DARCY STO 1 P/K 11235 NE RN 181185 011014

DD E20 051115 ADAMANTAGE 29 PORTSMOUTH 8 - 2 - 126

Killed in action with submarine in the Dardanelles.

HMS ADAMANT. ADM 188 / 889. N.P 6054 / 15.

P.o.B ; Horsham, Sussex. D.o.B ; 18 November 1885 Occ ; Late Sto RN SS 107158.

H.M. Submarine E.20 was torpedoed and sunk in the Sea of Marmora, Turkey by U-14.

ADM 188 / 1113. SS 107158.

The ADM numbers are files in the PRO/NA and will give his full service record. They are available `on-line' for £3-50.

Good Hunting.

Sadsac

Many thanks. Does anyone know if any crew photos exist? I know that there are some "football team" type shots for some ships

Might be worth asking the RN Submarine Museum?

I just wonder why no action seems to have been taken after the War against the Captain of the Turquoise.

Allowing the Germans access to the latest RN codes by not destroying the ships secret papers has to be the grossest dereliction of duty, surely?.

Surely there can have been few Frenchmen at that stage of the War that felt sympathy for the German/Turkish cause?

All that fuss about Dreyfus and men being shot for cowardice, desertion or just to encourage the others, yet this chap got away with not only losing his own ship but causing the death and destruction of an Ally's crew and vessel which may have had a great impact in the area had it been able to cruise amongst the Turkish and German warships in the area.

I do hope he was never allowed to sea again.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mr G.

My grandfather was one of the survivors on E20 i have the full list of crew and a short history on each seaman.

If you have any info i could have would be great, or if i can send you what i have, You are more than welcome.

As far as pictures i only have the one in the docs. Also if anybody has any information of any of the crew or where the hospital and prison camps are i would really appreciate it all.

My Granddads name . Leading stoker fist class Joseph Embery.

Regards Sonic

Surprisingly 2 out of the 25 men on our villages WW1 War Memorial are submariners. You kind people have been most helpful in helping me with Stoker Alfred Phillips and the E18 and I am now trying to complete the story of the other man - Stoker 1st Class Darcy Dendy lost on the E20. I have his service record and a bit on the loss of E20 but was wondering if any crew photographs exist for this submarine and just what the story was regarding its loss (I understand it was torpedoed)

Thanks

Darcy Dendy isn't a very common name, but I suspect he had a brother or some relative who emigrated to British Columbia, as we had an old family friend called D'arcy Dendy who died a few years ago whose family was from Sussex. His father, and any brothers would have been in WW1.

Not related really to your question but interesting nevertheless.

Hazel

Hello SONIC. Most interested to see `what you have'.

Here are details of Stoker Embery's Submarine Service. You may already have them, of course.

EMBERY JOSEPH L STO P/K 13860 NE RN 140888 011014

SC 141001 DOLPHIN

E20 161022 MAIDSTONE DOLPHIN ADAMANT

POW 150000 TURKEY

SC 190101 DOLPHINDEMOBILISED 3.4.19

ACT LDG STO PRISONER 6/11/15

ADDRESS 48 AUCKLAND RD., CAMP HILL, BIRMINGHAM.

ADM 188 / 894 P.o.B ; WOLVERHAMPTON STAFFS

C S EXPIRES 270319 SENIOR IN RATING 120308

Sadsac

Thank you Hazel for letting me know, My mistake sorry.

Hi Sadsac, Yes you can have all i have can you please send me your email address.

Regards Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Sadsac i have had a family member give me a photo of my Grandfather Joseph Embery and staff and other members of the crew out side a building with a preacher it is a great find if there is anybody out there that knows who is in the picture and where it was taken, I've been told it was a Turkish hospital. I have got to get it photo copied on to my computer then who ever wants a copy just please get in touch and i will be glad to send it.

Kind regards

Sonic

Hi Sadsac I have been given a photo of my grandfather and a couple of the survivors of the E20 in outside a building might be the hospital or the p.o.w camp. if you are interested contact me and i will send it you.

Regards Roger

Hello Roger - yes, most interested and would like to take up your kind offer of a photo of your GFather.

Sadsac

Hi all.It is with great interest that I see this forum on the E20 sub in WW1; my mother told me years ago that my Grandfather, who served in the Royal Navy, was on a sub in the Dardanelles which was sunk and he was the last one to get out of the hatch and the rest died. I was wondering if there is a list of the crew you could share with me or tell me how I can seek his service records?

if it turns out he is crew, Im very keen on any photos and any further information. Sincerely, Fin

If you post some details I'm sure someone will be able to help

SONIC SNIPER is the expert on E20 and he has kindly shared his full Crew List with me...and there is no Magennis on it I'm afraid.

What were his Christian names? The Submarine Museum in Portsmouth migh be able to help as well. They have a list of all subs lost on their website and it looks like there were quite a few lost in the area.

I'm glad he survived, but Magennis is a fairly rare Name and only 1 UK example on CWGC, so there may be a family connection you currently unaware of, so....

MAGENNIS, E. Rank: Private. Service No: M/344863. Date of Death:20/05/1919. Age:23.
Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps 1019th M.T. Coy.
Grave Reference: XX. L. 6. Cemetery:BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Edward and Martha Magennis, of 128, Divis St., Belfast.
There are 3 South African Magennis's, though.
No medal card found for any Magennis except John P, Royal Engineers....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for your help. It turns out that its a different spelling from what I originally thought and I have now discovered he was on a ship with the Royal Navy in 1915 and was definitely part of the Gallipoli Campaign.

As the 100th year anniversary of the Gallipoli Campaign approaches, I give my sincere thanks to my Grandfather and all those men who fought so bravely and served their countries so selflessly in WW1.

• 3 months later...

I would be very interested if "sonicsniper" could send me the details of the crew on E20. My wife's Grandfather, Percival Hall Rodgers, was one of those killed on the E20 in Nov 1915. He is remembered on the Naval Memorial in Southsea. The only picture we have of him is attached.

post-100350-0-21625500-1416595470_thumb.

Hi Davidmbrown I am delighted and honoured to send you the crew list, I have done a lot of research on the E20 sub. If you like I will send you the work i have done on my grand dad and the sub up to the present time.

Would you ask your wife and see if I could have a copy of the picture and his name and any details of his life. I am trying to find out as much as i can about my gdads shipmates as possible. Any Information given or what i can finds out my self a will share with all who contribute to my research.

Kind Regards

Roger