Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

It is all about numbers, it managed 4.4 million viewers which is only just ahead of the BBC average for this spot (4.3m) so they will have to pull something out of the hat to drag people in accept it wasn't value for money.

Just been announced that the BBC are not to recommission a second/subsequent series.

Sue

"Well Hurrah!!!" (As Lt George would say in Blackadder Goes Forth)

Very surprising, considering the considerable expense involved in building the set.

Anne

Just been announced that the BBC are not to recommission a second/subsequent series.

Sue

There is a God, then.

Very surprising, considering the considerable expense involved in building the set.

Anne

Another Blackadder on the way?

Another Blackadder on the way?

Hope so johnboy, do you know something I don't?

Anne

Sue

Oddly enough, I don't feel as pleased at the news as I thought I would be. Still just very disappointed and annoyed at such a missed opportunity. I hope the latest version of Testament of Youth will be better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/testament-of-youth

When is this due to be aired, does anyone know? Can't seem to find anything giving a date.

Oddly enough, I don't feel as pleased at the news as I thought I would be. Still just very disappointed and annoyed at such a missed opportunity. I hope the latest version of Testament of Youth will be better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/testament-of-youth

When is this due to be aired, does anyone know? Can't seem to find anything giving a date.

I totally agree - such a missed opportunity for the trained nurse to get a look in - I think the VAD will continue to rule. It will be interesting to see what David Heyman does with 'Testament of Youth'. The writer of gritty drama turned 'The Crimson Field' into fantasy, so I wonder what a producer of fantasy will turn out as drama?

Sue

I know that 'Testament of Youth- the movie' -has been planned for years but looks like due to be available in 2015 according to this site here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441953/

I've mixed feeling about no second series of TCF : It's probably for the best in many respects but have to agree that it has been one massive missed opportunity -especially considering all the resources involved.

I totally agree - such a missed opportunity for the trained nurse to get a look in - I think the VAD will continue to rule. It will be interesting to see what David Heyman does with 'Testament of Youth'. The writer of gritty drama turned 'The Crimson Field' into fantasy, so I wonder what a producer of fantasy will turn out as drama?

Sue

It would take a lot of 'fantasy' to make Testament of Youth any worse.

Anne

It would take a lot of 'fantasy' to make Testament of Youth any worse.

Meaning that it's bad in the first place, or so good it would be difficult to alter?

Sue

Sorry Sue, what I really meant to say was the writer of the Crimson Field certainly turned it into fantasy and it would probably be impossible for the writer of Testament of Youth to do as good a job of fantasizing. As you have already said, it will be interesting to see what the writer does with this.

Anne

I shall feel short-changed now if Harry Potter doesn't appear as a Boy Scout and Hermione as a VAD :)

Sue

I shall feel short-changed now if Harry Potter doesn't appear as a Boy Scout and Hermione as a VAD :)

Sue

..............and Lord Voldemort as Ludendorff, perhaps Malfoy as Erich von Falkenhayn, but who could Dobby appear as I wonder?

Anne

Well Harry Potter/Daniel Radcliffe has been John Kipling in 'My Boy Jack' and is meant to be staring in a re-make of 'All Quiet on The Western Front'. One chap from 'Merlin ' is in 'Testament of Youth -The Movie'.

..............and Lord Voldemort as Ludendorff, perhaps Malfoy as Erich von Falkenhayn, but who could Dobby appear as I wonder?

Anne

Well Harry Potter/Daniel Radcliffe has been John Kipling in 'My Boy Jack' and is meant to be staring in a re-make of 'All Quiet on The Western Front'. One chap from 'Merlin ' is in 'Testament of Youth -The Movie'.

This thread gets more interesting by the minute and I look forward to seeing both.

Anne

No second series? Don't count your chickens just yet!

" It holds historical significance commemorating the 100th anniversary of WWI. " ?

Mike

" It holds historical significance commemorating the 100th anniversary of WWI. " ?

Mike

" It has a griping storyline(sic) and a unique angle on WW1" Not wrong there then!

Is there a petition to persuade the BBC not to make any further series?

I enjoyed reading Keith's comments which prompted me to ask if I am right in thinking that the writer of the series did write previously for Eastenders or am I wrong in my thoughts?

regards

Indefatigable