Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

Well I relented and allowed Mrs B access to the TV. We're 20 minutes in, and all I can do is paraphrase Sassoon

Jesus ... make it stop ...

Should be renamed "Holby City Goes to War".

It even has Mr. Molesley from 'Downton Abbey' as the colonel. Unfortunately the cardboard characters have prevented any suspension of disbelief so far.

As the Tottygraph said, firmly in "Call the Midwife" territory.Almost as bad as "The Three Musketeers" (almost, but it would have to be really appalling to be that bad).

Good to see my licence fee so well used.

If the BBC Great War Centenary season was operating a triage system, this show would be put in a corner, given a lump of morphine, and left for nature to take its course.

As the Tottygraph said, firmly in "Call the Midwife" territory.Almost as bad as "The Three Musketeers" (almost, but it would have to be really appalling to be that bad).

Good to see my licence fee so well used.

Steven,

Having, by your own admission, missed most of the BBC's excellent output on the Great War so far this year, why on earth are you putting yourself through this widely trailed car crash!

David

Because it's there, David ... because it's there.

(Can I also query the word "excellent"? I've seen nothing yet to deserve that appellation).

How can such an opportunity to pay a centenary tribute to our womenfolk's enormous nursing contribution in the Great War be thrown away like this?

To think I allowed this to be switched on instead of Endeavour on ITV +1 - aargh. That is why I am on the Forum instead!

Jack

Unfortunately the cardboard characters have prevented any suspension of disbelief so far.

Grossly unfair to associate what is an excellent and useful packaging material with this dreadful piece of televisual dross.

We have migrated across to Louis Theroux's paedophiles with a sense of relief.

Should be renamed "Holby City Goes to War".

I was thinking the same. I`ve read a few nurses diaries and this programme bares no resemblance whatsoever to them.

Send an urgent message to BBC HQ: "Am under heavy and sustained fire from a barrage of cliches, WW1 officer and roses-of-no-man's land stereotypes. Please send emergency relief."

Now where' s the boxed set of 'Breaking Bad'?

Oh, the many, many costume howlers. The lack of anything resembling proper military discipline - or if it rears its head, portrayed as priggish adherence to pointless (the writer's judgement) rules. The Colonel - who sends the curiously un-cap badged DCM holder back to the front - could not be more of a cartoon villain if he had a curly moustache and stroked it going "mwa- hah, hah, hah!".

I think we should send a paramedic to Sue Light with oxygen and a strong sleeping pill to overcome the anger, and a card offering sympathy.

I cannot believe how bad this has been. Forget historical accuracy - not worth wasting time on that! Two-dimensional characters, clichéd storyline. The TV equivalent of Mills & Boon. Absolutely appalling - shame on you BBC!

Agreed. I'm just stunned by how awful this programme was. Please don't tell me that this series will go on for another four years !

I cannot believe how bad this has been. Forget historical accuracy - not worth wasting time on that! Two-dimensional characters, clichéd storyline. The TV equivalent of Mills & Boon. Absolutely appalling - shame on you BBC!

Perfect Sunday night viewing. By which I mean it's so boring you fall asleep, or turn it off then go to bed

Not just historical inaccuracies. One sequence showed fairly heavy rain, shortly afterwards there is no sign of there having been any with the ground bone dry!

Presumably 'the boys' marching off to the front at the end were making a detour to pickup some kit on the way, and I somehow think that all the vehicles would have been just a bit grubbier; having ridden from Boulogne a spotless motorcycle & a coat with the appearance of it just having come out of the box, not to mention the rider having a clean face...

NigelS

Despite family suggestions that we watch the "Scarlet Fields", we decided to watch "Grimm" instead

Clearly we made the right decision.....

There seemed to be only one real medical case (apart from the shell shock) and I had my doubts about that.

Can gas gangrene really infect the lungs and liver? I thought it was caused by a bacterium that got into wounds.

Is there a doctor in the house who can enlighten us?

Martin

Because it's there, David ... because it's there.

(Can I also query the word "excellent"? I've seen nothing yet to deserve that appellation).

Egbert on the Antiques Road Show was excellent, I thought.

Am I wrong, or did one of the army officers give something resembling a naval salute?

Nigel