Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/9th Bn Kings Liverpool

redjed1

Hi, I'm trying to find anything on my grandmother's brother Edward Hughes, who died in WW1.

I've looked at military records on Ancestry and think the only way of getting the right Edward Hughes is from his next-of-kin and last address (unless anyone can come up with another way).

My best fit so far (off Ancestry) is

- Pte Edward Hughes, 331842, of the 2/9th Btn who was born in Liverpool, enlisted in Liverpool and died on 30/9/1918 near Cambrai in France?

buried at the Moeuvres Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord.

I know a lot of records were destroyed in WW2, but any help is appreciated.

John

There is some information on him in the Kings Liverpool database, it may not be much but the only way to find out is to visit the Liverpool museum and take a look, the database isn't available online, other than an index

Hi John

Have you got any more information you can share (Address - Wife or family members - Date of birth or age) It can all help

Colin

Hi, thanks for the speedy replies.

Graeme - I'll check out the sites. Thanks

Judith - I live in Liverpool, so I'll get down to the museum. I think the records are at the Maritime Museum, if not I'll try the other one.

Colin - he was born 1893-4 (baptism 30/5/1894, Everton Emanuel), the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Hughes. In the 1911 census they lived at 111 Molyneux Rd, Liverpool. Edward was not with them on the census - I think he and brother Thomas were in Mill Lane hospital.

John

Most of those who enlisted with the 9th King's Liverpools came from the Emmanuel Parish of Everton.

I think you need to be careful with such a common name, and not assume that the man you found is "yours".

See this from the Echo, 21/10/1918. I'm not saying that this relates to your man, but it shows that there were a lot of "Edward Hughes" about !

post-1356-0-79384100-1395668179_thumb.pn