Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Btn Royal Fusiliers

Guest Lesley01

Guest Lesley01

My grandfather - Pte Reginald W Parrish 13872 - a bandsman of the 2nd Royal Fusiliers, City of London Regiment (29th Div, 86th Brigade) was on the Western Front from 19.12.1917 until 20.10.18. Prior to earlier date, he was in Malta, and convalescing from an injury at Gallipoli. He was sent back to Hounslow for hospital admission at the latter date.

I’m trying to establish the battles in which he was involved on the Western Front... Outtersteene Ridge, Ploegsteert & Hill 63, Battle of Ypres 1918, Courtrai, there seems no doubt. My query: there are references to the Regiment at Estaires, Messines 1918, Hazebrouck and Bailleul in ‘The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War’ by H C O’Neill and online, but Major W E Grey on page 326 of the book ‘2nd City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) in the Great War states … ‘The Battle of the Lys, in which neither battalion of the 2nd Londons took part’).

Would much appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

Guest Lesley01

Thanks, Graeme. Will do. I'll also check with the NA about the diaries of the following few months to complete the picture. Lesley

• 6 months later...

I am researching my father Private Norman Richard White of the City of London Regiment, Royal Fusiliers, service number 202807 who was in the City of London Regiment, Royal Fusiliers.

He was taken prisoner of war at Ypres on 27 October 1917 and the war prisoner records have him in 26/06/1918 in Hamelin camp. he was in 2/2 Battalion when captured. Somehow he was repatriated back to Leith from Copenhagen. It must have been early 1919 as there is a letter from the King dated 1918 contained within a prisoner of war hymnal with Copenhagen written in the inside cover.

Also contained in the front cover there is the name my father has written which is for Barfredshoejlejren Camp, Copenhagen. This is dated 31 December 1918 so we are not sure if this date is a red herring or not as there have be a few in our search to date.

My father told me very limited information before he died so we do not have much information to go on. We do know the prisoners of this camp had an audience with the King of Denmark as they were given two Royal Copenhagen plates (dated 1910 and 1915) which we still have. Is anyone able to fill any blanks in the research we have been able to do such as how we can find the passenger lists for the ships requisitioned for the troops?

The Danish archives have provided us a picture of the troops there in 1918 and one of the camp also.post-116375-0-51016000-1413915546_thumb.post-116375-0-23709100-1413915594_thumb.