Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Victoria Hospital Netley event May 3rd 2014

seaJane

Copied from our local Hampshire magazine - unfortunately I can't make it myself as I shall be in mid-Wales with a friend.

From Empire to Armageddon: Netley Hospital during the First World War

• Date and time: Saturday 3 May, 10am - 4pm
  • Place: Royal Victoria Country Park, Southampton, SO31 5GA
  • Cost: Adult £6, senior citizen £4. Extra £3 per person for optional tower tour. (accessible site with car parking and refreshments).

The First World War at Royal Victoria Hospital. With unique film footage, a preview of BBC1's forthcoming documentary 'World War One at Home' and a host of expert guest speakers.

I'd love to go, have seen a preview of the documentary and know a little of other content. Should be very interesting and controversial with new (researched) theories being put forward.

Seems it's a 4½ train journey assuming they mend the line down this part of Devon. Car share anyone???

TEW

Ouch, and I can't really see it being possible in time for 10 am even if you get a bus to Exeter and a decent change at Westbury :(

Make a weekend of it and stay over in Southampton on Friday night?

Jane

I've read the bit on the website, but do you know if this is an all day event/conference, or whether it's possible to take in whatever's going on during part of the day?

Sue

Hi Sue

The only times I know are the ones I included in the first post, alongside the date, i.e. 10am-4pm.

I'm sure if you phone they will do what they can to confirm.

sJ

I've just phoned to find out more, but it seems that the programme hasn't been finalised and the person I spoke too couldn't give me any idea of how the day would be planned, other than there would be speakers and they were trying to put a programme in place. Advised just to keep an eye on the website - link on the first post.

Sue

TEW,

I see the Dawlish line is now open again.

sJ

Yes, opened today with bunting etc. I think Cameron's accepting all credit for it.

Still need to check car or train options, Netley not an easy route either way.

TEW