Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner William Henry Coy, A Battery, 93rd Brigade RFA, 1915-17.

RFA1917

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum and I’m trying to find any information on my great uncle William Henry Coy He came from Muston on the Notts/Leics border and he was a gunner in "A" Battery 93rd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery; service number 85242. He joined up in 1915 (at 19 years old) and went to France on 22nd July of that year. He was killed at or near Pilckem Ridge on 8th August 1917 and is buried in Artillery Wood Cemetery at nearby Boesinghe in Belgium. I’ve got a copy of his medal index card, however, I can’t find any more information about his war service or his death. I’m trying to find some information for a short biography for the Bottesford Living History Project’s commemoration of WW1.

Any information about him or his unit would be gratefully received. Many thanks.post-107387-0-36453100-1395516448_thumb.

Thanks - Henry and Sarah were my great grandparents and I pass within a stone's throw of the farm (Breeder Hills Farm) where they all lived and where William and my grandfather were born every day on my way to work! I've pieced together William's life from childhood through to 1915 when he joined up but then I reach a more or less dead end. He didn't have any children and we don't know what happened to his 3 medals - presumably they went to my great grandparents.

Hi

Also on SDGW -

Name:

William Henry Coy

Residence:

Bottesford, Notts

Death Date:

8 Aug 1917

Death Location:

France & Flanders

Enlistment Location:

Nottingham, Notts

Gunner

Regiment:

Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Number:

Type of Casualty:

Killed in action

Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

MIC has entered France 22.7.15, entitled to trio and Dead in the remarks column.

No service record.

regards

Robert

Many thanks for all the responses. The War Diary for April 1917 does give a good idea of daily life at the front - great stuff!

Possible brother?

Muston 1918 Absent Voters List.

66802 Pte. Cyril Coy 11th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, residence, Muston Gorse.

Regards.

Llew.

Llew - yes, Cyril Coy was William Coy's brother. Many thanks for the detail - I knew he served in the Durham Light Infantry but didn't know the Battalion. I've attached a photo of him which I think was taken later in WW1 or just afterwards. regards, Iain.

post-107387-0-47802600-1395595811_thumb.

Hello Iain,

I believe the medal ribbons would definitely mean post war, probably even the early twenty's?

I've got images of the Bottesford & Muston 1918 Absent Voters List, if they would be of any use to yourself or anyone else please let me know and I'll gladly send them over.

Regards.

Llew.

Hi Llew,

Yes, I think the photo was taken post war - he looks quite fit and well! He died quite young (1940) when my dad was 9 but he doesn't remember him. I think he lived in Bottesford rather than Muston after the war as he had 2 daughters and I know they went to school in Bottesford rather than in Muston. Yes please, I'd be very interested in the Bottesford & Muston Absent Voters List.

Many thanks, Iain.