Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

passenger list query for returning reservists

Coldstreamer

Hello

would a reservist returning to duty be included on any of these lists ?

Been trying to find

William Henry Ostler Hill (possibly Canada and I know from papers embarked somewhere on the Virginian 22 July 1910)

Frederick Charles Amos (Australia)

Both being pre war soldiers they got 1914/15 stars as didn't get recalled or arrive back for 1914 qualification

cheers

There are passenger lists for your year on Ancestry but you need Worlwide membership. If you know the port of disembarkation in Uk there may also be lists available.

I have looked on the lists unsuccessfully - not an something I use very often - so doesn't mean they are not there somewhere

I had a look on the arrivals lists and only one found was,

Wm Hill labourer sailed Montreal to Glasgow on SS Hesperian? arriving 27/8/10

Thanks. Will check his papers and see if career matches

There is a Fredrick Amos boarding the S.S. Orama in London on 6 June 1913, heading for Adelaide. Cited as a 34-year-old traveler.

A Fredrick Amos is also reported on the S.S. Ballarat departing London on 11 April 1912, headed for Adelaide via Cape Town. This Mr. Amos is listed as a farmer, unaccompanied and an Englishman.

A Fredrick Amos is also reported on the S.S. Geelong as a 23-year-old English farmer, leaving London on 2 March 1911 headed for Melbourne.

clearly I have much to learn about finding stuff with this resource - thanks all

I have made contact with a relative of HILL and he was a sawyer - born around 1884

Amos was born 1887 - but seems to have forgotten and stated born 1895 on his ww2 papers

Amos said he was a farm labourer and the dates match