Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt TP Jones RN RAF MBE - Rolls Royce? 31/10/18

Simon_Fielding

Hi there

I have an unusual casualty on a Bewdley War Memorial – he’s listed as THOMAS PARCETTER JONES but I think he’s this man:

JONES, THOMAS PARGETER

Second Lieutenant

Date of Death:

31/10/1918

Regiment/Service:

Royal Air Force

101st Sqdn.

Awards:

M B E

Grave Reference

I. E. 7.

Cemetery

ROISEL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information:

Son of Thomas and Alice 0. Jones; husband of Margaret Jones, of Woodbine Cottage, Blackrock, Dundalk.

His mother Alice Olivia Jones nee Baker lived in Bewdley, hence the listing on neighbouring Wribbenhall’s war memorial.

I’d like the benefit of wiser eyes on his service record – RN / RAF so all online at the NA: he served with the RN at Dunkirk – wonder if anyone can make out any more details?

post-50-0-13825600-1395474193_thumb.jpg

He transfers to the RAF and it’s here that his work history caught my eye – as well as the post war award of an MBE – wondering if he might be RNAS armoured cars as there is a Rolls Royce connection?

post-50-0-31082200-1395474276_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-64257800-1395474315_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-01725300-1395474467_thumb.jpg

He’s now the highest decorated Bewdley casualty but still seems a little elusive!

Advice gratefully accepted!

SF

This man's death has a notable story to it, concerning a few very brave men. As I understand it, night bomber FE2b A6518 was taxying during a test flight but overturned and burst into flames. The pilot Capt F Woodcock MC seems to have been trapped and was killed, but his observer AM JB Murray, although with injured legs, strove to get to Woodcock out of his cockpit before he died, and was further injured as a result. Murray survived and for this bravery he was awarded the Albert Medal. 2Lt Thomas Pargeter Jones was the unit's Equipment Officer, and he had run to the burning wreckage in an effort to save the pilot and to help Murray. But at this time the 112lb bomb on the aircraft exploded, and this killed him. The original awards recommendation mentions an OBE for this act of bravery.

I really hope this helps, and having written all this out I can only say to these men may you all Rest in Peace.

Trevor

Trevor, thanks for sharing your expertise; what an amazing tale of heroism. I'm going to follow this up as I think this man deserves better than a misspelt name on a war memorial. I noticed that he worked at the Mercedes showroom in Long Acre before the war. What responsibilities would an Equipment Officer have had?

sincere thanks

Simon,

You're right, of course, about the MBE - I've just looked at the copies of the AIR1 paperwork (see below) and note that the original squadron application for a bravery award mentioned an Albert Medal, but it's clear this was an MBE by January 1919.

I completely agree with your comment that 'this man deserves better' - I'll get in touch with a view to sending you copies of the 10 or 11 pages out of AIR1/1598/204/83/40 V Bgde Awards I have copies of that cover what happened that day - some of it is quite graphic, now that I've read it once more, compared with my rather anodyne summary. Hell had descended on that airfield - the aircraft was taxying out with a range of 25lb and 112 lb bombs on board but one loosened and dropped and exploded, apparently blowing over the machine and pinning Woodcock. Murray had been literally blown clear, but limped back and fought with his bare hands amidst the flames to free his pilot, but just couldn't before the machine settled into a burning pile. By this time, it appears, Jones had arrived at the scene, and although two more bombs had exploded he kept pressing upon the burning wreckage, clearly trying to free Woodcock, but unable to get close enough because of the flames. It was just as he was near the burning aircraft in his efforts that the large bomb exploded, killing him instantly.

I'll be in touch.

Trevor

RIP

Two brothers killed at High Wood with the 14th Royal Warwicks, another brother served 3/SWB and RFC

post-50-0-69574700-1395572281_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Simon,

Interesting RAF record here.

The first entry is for 216 Sqn. This could be a typo with 206 Sqn? Errors in service records are not uncommon.

The next line has him at the New Zealand Stationary Hospital at Wisques, a few miles west of St Omer, on 18th May. His RAF Casualty Card should give details.

On 26th May he is posted from 206 Sqn (216?) to England.

Note that on 14th June he is "fit for GS (General Service) gd (guard) Duties only" - still recovering from wounds or illness?

At some point he is posted to No 2 School of Aeronautics at Oxford, and from there to the Armament School at Uxbridge on 28th October.

He is then posted to 101 Sqn, where he is killed on 31st October.

I hope that helps.

Jon

That's really helpful Jon - Thank you.

Thankyou for reviving the memory of these brave men. They're of that breed of hero who run TOWARD danger instead of away from it. "Greater love hath no man....".

Any chance of correcting the name on the memorial?

Good idea - I'll pursue it and see what can be done...

• 6 years later...

Thomas is also listed on both the Hampton in Arden and Bickenhill War Memorialsand was one of three brothers who fell in the war the other two served together and died within a day of each other:

Lance Corporal Charles Victor JONES - 14th Bn Royal Warwickshire Reg - died on Saturday 22nd July 1916 during the Attack on High Wood (Battle of the Somme)

Lance Corporal Collins Jeffreys JONES - 14th Bn Royal Warwickshire Reg - died the following day, Sunday 23rd July 1916 in the same action.

I have full details of all three men should anyone want them

Edited by ianshuter