Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

110th Brigade at Epehy 21 March 1918

Ellis1918

In memory of the men of 110th Brigade ( 6th , 7th , 8th , 9th battalions Leicestershire Regiment ) who fought gallantly at Epehy at the onset of the German Spring offensive - The Kaisers Battle - until forced to withdraw on 22 March . Pvte Hickin who on 2 or 3 occasions walked along the parapet firing a Lewis gun from his hip at the enemy concentrating in the trenches on the flanks and was eventually killed in making one of these attacks. :poppy:

This heroic stand had slowed the German advance and perhaps helped prevent all-out disaster befalling the BEF. The Germans themselves took the unusual step of mentioning by name in communiques the Leicestershire battalions which stood in their path at Epehy - From "The Tigers" by Matthew Richardson.

Remembered :poppy:

:poppy:

Hickin's story always stood out to me... Apparently a similar scenario is mentioned in 'storm of steel' but with a different unit, someone told me it was later proven to be a Leicestershire Regiment man?

RIP

Remembering in particular 2/Lt Arthur John Harry Lord wounded at Epehy on 21 March 1918 and then killed there on 18 September 1918 when the 6th Battalion returned during the final Advance.

Neil

In memory of Pte 10130 Sidney Winter MM. He enlisted in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, at the age of 18, on 17 September 1914. Sidney went to France with the 6th (Service) Battalion and remained with it until he was wounded during the attack at Bazentin-le-Petit on 14 July 1916. After medical treatment in England he returned to France on 2 March 1917 and was posted to the 7th (Service) Battalion. His Military Medal came as a result of his work during the brigade counter-attack at Polygon Wood on 1 October 1917. He was also wounded during this affair but remained in France. This brave young man was killed in action in the German attack at Epehy and has no known grave.

:poppy:

My grandfather Sjt Willie Ellis 13392 7th battn Leics was wounded on 21 March 1918 and awarded the DCM for gallantry at Epehy his brother LSjt Ernest Ellis 13402 also served with the 7th battn . They both enlisted at Dinnington near Rotherham in Aug 1914 and survived.

Private Frederick Gilbert Brown served with the 6th Battn leicestershire reg at Epehy 21st March 1918,

He left a wife and 6 children behind in Bermondsey South London,he has no known grave.

I am ever grateful for his sacrifice.He won't be forgotten.