Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
flissoh

Kings African Rifles Special List

flissoh

My grandmother's first husband is recorded by Forces War Records as having joined the King's African Rifles on 1st April 1917, his Battalion shown as Special Lists. Does anyone know what this might mean? He was later spotted by a family friend in Palestine. His name was Edmund Whalley Wickham, I don't have a service number for him.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Felicity

oOOPs, SORRY, that is Edmund Hugh Whalley Wickham....

bushfighter

Felicity

Greetings

Probably the best way to describe the Special List is to say that men appearing on it did not have a previous regimental affiliation as an officer.

Edmund would have been selected for officer training whilst a civilian or perhaps whilst as a private or junior non-commissioned officer in a military unit.

When he passed out as a trained and commissioned officer his name would be placed on the Special List to give him a military affiliation.

(If he had been transferred as an officer from say the Black Watch to the KAR then he would have retained his affiliation to the Black Watch whilst he served on attachment to the KAR.)

I hope that this makes sense - if I come across Edmund during my research then I will advise you.

Harry