Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Bayonet Markings

trajan

Excellent find... 

Bravo!!!! 

You have an extremely valuable collection over there. 

I am very impressed with your bayonets. 

Where do you live???? 

Regards

Dimitrios

You guys are making me even more aware of how much I have slacked off since 2017 from listing unit-marks... A summer project - or maybe a guillible post grad student?:unsure:

Edited by trajan

Well,German markings, just not unit marked, seem' s very interesting to me

this based on what seller said, based on A. Carter

1916 date with flash guard, saw removed,. Rare maker/ date by Carter,. Separate maker / finisher, usually stamped left and right side.This piece has finisher over stamping maker, seller say Carter only list one like that? Then Wiemar re-issue, blued, but no 1920 or 1921 stamp. Then Luftwaffe reuse, marking on flash guard, and finally, a 98/05 frog, blackened and a strap added

this is what seller said. I hope all that is correct, thanks

Gernika, nice S.71,. Hard to find with the Bavarian Bar instead of the usual long teardrop. Blade looks great, one to be proud of!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very rare 98/05 bayonet with large military history on it. 

I have to check better the markings and stamps on the flashguard. 

Nazi period I believe but let me check it better. 

Regards

D. 

Thanks, is the over stamping of finisher over maker very rare like seller say??

with all your rare stuff, I sure you have at least one or two like that

Steve

For your great surprise

I DO NOT HAVE ANY!!! 

LUCKY YOU!!! 

regards

D. 

Oh My God , my poor little collection (3 little buckets) of Bayonet's  and I have something rate that you do not YET?

Give it a week or two and you will be posting one that is also unit marked to some rare unit!!

10 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Well,German markings, just not unit marked, seem' s very interesting to me

this based on what seller said, based on A. Carter

1916 date with flash guard, saw removed,. Rare maker/ date by Carter,. Separate maker / finisher, usually stamped left and right side.This piece has finisher over stamping maker, seller say Carter only list one like that? Then Wiemar re-issue, blued, but no 1920 or 1921 stamp. Then Luftwaffe reuse, marking on flash guard, and finally, a 98/05 frog, blackened and a strap added

10 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Gernika, nice S.71,. Hard to find with the Bavarian Bar instead of the usual long teardrop. Blade looks great, one to be proud of!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Certainly a nice looking and interesting piece there Steve!

Carter says, volume 1, p. 78: "A single exception dated 1916 had Durkopp's mark overstamping Herder's on the left". But yours is Herder over Durkopp on the left and so NOT the same one that Carter described - unless Carter got it mixed up? Either way a rarity indeed!

The crossguard has a partly erased unit-mark, and this includes a "/", so that is almost certainly a Weimar-period marking, to be read with the blade point down. Typical examples as published in the regulations for 1923 are: "8/J.R.1.3." for 8.Infantry Regiment 1 (machine gun) company, weapon no. 3. This looks to be over-stamped on a longer WW1 unit mark BUT I have no idea what either originally said! It could even be a police mark? Now, as there was a Weimar unit marking there it follows that there was a "1920" mark also on the other side originally, now erased. 

I can't see any Luftwaffe marking - unless this is supposed to be the winged eagle aove the "S 44" on the flashguard? But that is a post 1933 "Waffenamt" - weapon's inspection office - marking over the code "S 44" for the Autounion firm, stamped there after they overhauled the bayonet for further use.

"SJW/1937" I have no idea...

Julian

With the several things about this 98/05. And the original frog, converted for WW2, makes it kind of rare?

Not certain on rarity, although clearly the double stamp is. These 98/05 were certainly used by German occupation troops in France in WW2, but they were not marked, I don't think; and by Luftwaffe and police, but marked, also.

Guess I can add one for you Julian. A 65/71 Hirschfanger, the markings are a little worn

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

An S98

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This S98 I did post on, a Landstrum unit, but no one knew what the markings in the middle were? 

Lst. B  F---a (?) 2  R 64

with steel scabbard

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last one for today

S98aA.  This I was told is from the original trial unit's, a mismatch, BUT was told BOTH UNIT's, Bayonet and scabbard were of TRIAL units, I hope so

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve1871 said:

Guess I can add one for you Julian. A 65/71 Hirschfanger, the markings are a little worn

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A bit early for me! But I'll take an informed guess at Garde-JaegerBataillon 4 Kompagnie Waffe 46. Alex Coppel, they mad a bunch of Hf.65 for Prussia in 1868. The 'G' on the ricasso is something for the quality of the steel - can't erember what right now. The fraktur markings 'S' and ? might be traceable to an inspector on something this early.

I thought you loved these old Hirschfangers there Julian?

13 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

An S98

image.jpg

Hirschfangers are fine but these are more to my liking. Superb example and matching bayonet and scabbard to boot, with lots of fraktur marked pieces including the bolt heads!

At first sight this should be Reserve-Infanterie Regiment Nr. 84 on the basis this is a script 'R' and the bayonet being marked according to the 1909 Regulations. BUT a long discussion on GBForum has shown that a script "R" might be used for "Regiment" after 1897, and so Infanterie-Regiment von Manstein (Schleswigsches) Nr. 84. I need to do some checking to clarify this... 

12 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

image.jpg

This needs some thought... If only the letter after the 'F' was clear...

Great to have a metal scabbard though!

13 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is an odd one..."FA" on blade spine for Friedrich August III of Saxony, on the throne from 1904. But marked for Prussian Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich der Grosse (3. Ostpreußisches) Nr. 4. Scabbard marking is for 4. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß, also Prussian, and using a script 'R', which usually means 'Reserve' but to the best of my knowledge there was no Garde-Reserve-Regiment zu Fuß. 

Then, to cap it all, the bayonet is date-marked 1905, when the change over from S.98aA to S.98nA began - according to Carter volume 2, p. 55 - towards the end of 1902, and all the S.98aA he saw were 1902 or earlier. Coluld have been held in stock in Saxony I suppose, then issued in 1905, then sent to Prussia in 1914?

Am I missing somthing bl**dy obvious here? Or is just too early in the morning and my brain is not yet in gear?

Steve, forgot to add. All the S.98 trials issues are dated 1898 and 1899, and went to the Garde-Jäger-Bataillon, the Garde-Schützen-Bataillon, the 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß, and the Infanterie-Schiess-Schule only - Carter vol 2. p. 79.

I was excited in getting that last S98, said were original trials units,

oh crap, can not win th all, but I believe all markings are real/ original . If they confuse you, then it is truly a unique piece!

S98 or other models of Bayonet's, do not want to abuse the word " rare" but seeing Fraktur's on bolt heads are common - seldom seen? You see maybe 5 -10 50% of the time? I only have few pics of other S98.  98/05, they have plain bolt heads, learning here