Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Thomas McCaul Irish Guards

Garraway Girl

Hello - it's been a number of years since I was on this forum. Now have new info and photos of my great grandfather, Thomas McCaul.

I would very much appreciate an interpretation of his MIC. Does it state which battalion he was with?

I also have a photograph of him with his battalion/regiment. Please advise where I would post this for interest of others (which forum topic)

Kind regards

Amanda Garraway Robertspost-6940-0-92197900-1395242013_thumb.jp

Hi Amanda,

Sorry can't help with the technical advice but...........

There was only one Battalion of The Irish Guards in 1914 - 2nd Battalion was raised in 1915. I would guess he was recalled 5th August 1914 as a reservist and from his date of entry, 23rd November 1914, I would suggest he went to join the Battalion as a reinforcement to replace casualties suffered at the First Battle of Ypres. He missed out on the award of the 1914 Star (often called the Mons Star) by one day - eligibility was arrival in France & Flanders between 5th August and midnight 22nd November 1914.

I note he was awarded a Silver War Badge which suggests he was discharged by reason of injury or sickness - a forum member with access to Ancestry should be able to give you details.

Had he remained with the Irish Guards for the whole of his service then his service records would still be held by them at Welllington Barracks, London and you could apply for them. However as he appears to have transferred to the Kings Liverpool Regiment his papers would have left the Irish Guards. Again a member with access to Ancestry may be able to tell you if his papers survived the german bombing in 1940.

Good luck with your search.

Looking forward to seeing the photographs.

Steve Y

PS

Was your ggf Irish born?

I had a West Cumberland born great uncle of Irish parentage who applied to join the Irish Guards in 1909 claiming to be Irish born. When his papers from The Border Regiment arrived at Caterham showing he was not Irish born he was quickly transferred administratively to the Coldstream Guards!

Steve - well you've told me a bunch of things I was trying to get my head around! I thought the Liverpool comment on his MIC was where barracks were (duh), not name of another regiment. I also did not know about the 1914 Star.

Yes he was born in Northern Ireland in 1885, living in Whitehaven, Cumberland England by 1906.

I have access/subscription to ancestry.co.uk myself. Have found nothing but his MIC.

Two days ago I made a comment to my Uncle in the UK that I had never seen a photograph of my great grandfather, and an hour later he sent two by email, one of which was his Irish Guard pic (assuming) a bit damaged but can easily see faces of men he served with. I am trying to figure out how to upload to this thread

Hi Amanda,

Just sent you short pm before I saw this 2nd post.

Irish Guards soldier number 3504 joined on 2nd March 1910 and number 3933 joined on 1st November 1911 (from Paul Nixons site). If Thomas joined midway in that 20 month period - say Jan 1911 he would have served his 3 years with the colours and would have been in his first year of reserve service at the outbreak of war.

Have you looked for him on the April 1911 UK census? I think he could be a recruit in training at the Guards Depot, Caterham. I don't have access to Ancestry. I will wait for the full size photo before commenting on the cap badge but others may chip in after rteading this post.

Steve Y

Here is the pic -- It is cropped so if anyone needed to see the building behind in depth I can repost another image.

My great grandfather is third row from front, second man from right.

On 1911 Census is he at home with his wife and two children, listed as a a coal miner.

He had two daughters die within days if each other in 1917, their death certificates make mention of their father being a soldier and his rank (have to find where I put this now! ugh!)

I very much appreciate everything you have taken the time to write!

Amanda

post-6940-0-43820000-1395258673_thumb.jp

Hi Amanda,

I'm now on my iPhone so will have to wait till I get on a desktop as I can't enlarge the photograph.

Just on a point of clarification -

In your 2008 thread you posted an MIC for your gfg showing he was in Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment - also referred to in the 2 Death Certificates you mention. Responses from members suggested he was Sept 1914 enlistment.

Have you now discounted the Kings Own link?

If so on what basis?

If 1911 census is correct Irish Guards connection is questionable........

Steve Y

Steve - I must be losing marbles! Let me find that thread, and the certs!

Okay found it!! So sorry for wasting your time Steve - my mistake! I have not found certificates, but I clearly quoted from it back then, and in getting back to the research have copied the wrong MIC. However, the pic I posted is definitely him - just the Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment.

My profuse apologies!

Amanda

That's fine Amanda.

If I was you I would post the photo on your original 2008 thread as it will be of interest to those members with a Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regt interest.

Just replied to your PM.

Regards

Steve