Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Frederick Bennett.

elewis

The war memorial located in St. James church, Cutsdean, Gloucestershire has the following record -
FREDERICK JAMES BENNETT, KILLED IN FRANCE 5TH OCT 1918.

By using the census records I found him to be the son of Thomas and Emily Bennett, who in 1911 lived in Broadwell, Moreton-in-Marsh, Glos, and to have been born in Temple Guiting.

Soldiers died in great war has the following entry -

Name: Frederick James Bennett

Birth Place: Temple Guiting, Glos

Residence: Moreton-in-marsh, Glos

Death Date: 7 Oct 1918

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Oxford

Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment)

Battalion: 7th Battalion

Number: 16014

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 14177, Oxfordshire And Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Mentioned In Despatches.

Although DoD is 2 days out the full name and place of birth match perfectly (Temple Guiting is very small you would not get 2 Fredrick Bennetts of roughly the same age).

BUT

CWGC has -

BENNETT, FREDERICK THOMAS
Service No: 16014
Date of Death: 05/10/1918
Regiment/Service: 7th Bn. Wiltshire Regiment
Additional Information:
Son of Thomas and Emily Bennett, of Broadwell, Moreton-in-Marsh, Glos. ....... so it has to be my man!

Soldiers of Oxford website has the service number 14177, DoD 5 Oct 1918 and also has the name as FREDERICK THOMAS.

I found the MIC for Frederick Bennett, no 16014, and that clearly shows the second initial as J. I could not find any other records for him.

Any ideas about the confusion with the second name?. I did wonder if Fredrick Thomas Bennett, 14177 O. & B. might be a different person from Frederick James Bannett, 16014 Wilts ??. Have I missed anything?.

Change of subject: On the Homefront / Hospitals forum I put a post about a hospital at Cranham, Glos, it has a small number of views compared with this forum ..... if anybody knows about that area it would be much appreciated if they could have a look.

As always any information would be much appreciated and very many thanks in advance.

Evan

quite common for names to get mixed up - with the millions of details errors occurred

you could check the war diary as it might confirm the date esp if one was a battle and the other was in billets

Coldstreamer sorry about the delay getting back to you and in thanking you for your input.

Sadly as you say with so many millions of details to be recorded errors were bound to occur. I have found evidence of several and fed the correct details with supporting back to the CWGC and been successful in having them corrected. This one just seemed a bit odd to me and I did wonder if two men had been merged rather than just an error with the name, hence the post here.

That is an excellent idea about checking the war diary to confirm the date of death, but as the war memorial and CWGC agreed on 5 Oct 1918 I was not so concerned with the slight difference in SDGW - but it would be nice to confirm the events of where / when he died.

Once again many thanks.

Evan