Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Combles communal cemetery extension

madgarry

Pvt George Reginald Saunders

Learn about upgrading this memorial... Birth: unknown Death: Aug. 29, 1918 trans.gif

Note: Private, Bedfordshire Regiment. Age: 19. Burial:

Combles Communal Cemetery Extension

Combles

Departement de la Somme

Picardie, France

Plot: VI. F. 15.

If anyones visiting this cemetery,ide appreciate a pic of the above mans grave please. Regards Garry

I have this one. Please let me have your email address so I can send it to you.

Martin

Morning Martin

Sorry to be a complete pain in the proverbial, would you by any chance have

William DAVIES in Grave III.B.17.

Regards,

Graeme

Hello Graeme

Yes, I will have him.

Email address please.

Regards

Martin

• 4 years later...

Good afternoon to all, may I ask for a bit of help as I'm not an experienced researcher?

My wife's great uncle, Arthur William Hatcher 24851, 1st Norfolk Regt is interred in Combles Communal Military Extension, Plot: III.E.27, died 04/09/1916.

If anyone has any photos it would be much appreciated. Also I believe he perished during the attack on Falfemont Farm near Guillemont, any information on this would be great as well.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

Hi Chris,

In his CWGC records there is a "concentration" sheet which notes that he was buried at map reference 62c.B.2.c.6.8 before being moved to his current place. That reference is likely to be much closer to where he originally fell. There is help on how to read references here. This link should open up on a map from September 1916 with sub square B.2 in the centre. You can use the slider to blend with a view of the modern landscape.

Regards

Chris

Chris, 

The attached shows the positions of Casement and Maltz Horn trenches where the battalion were mentioned as being on 3rd in the war diary. Falfemont Farm is pretty much due east of square 6.

Regards, Tom

CASEMENT AND DUBLIN.jpg

16 hours ago, clk said:

Hi Chris,

In his CWGC records there is a "concentration" sheet which notes that he was buried at map reference 62c.B.2.c.6.8 before being moved to his current place. That reference is likely to be much closer to where he originally fell. There is help on how to read references here. This link should open up on a map from September 1916 with sub square B.2 in the centre. You can use the slider to blend with a view of the modern landscape.

Regards

Chris

Thanks very much, appreciated. Regards, Chris.

12 hours ago, LEUZEWOOD said:

Chris, 

The attached shows the positions of Casement and Maltz Horn trenches where the battalion were mentioned as being on 3rd in the war diary. Falfemont Farm is pretty much due east of square 6.

Regards, Tom

CASEMENT AND DUBLIN.jpg

Thanks very much, regards, Chris.

You have probably seen the three sketch maps in images 203,204 and 205 of the War Diary link?

2 hours ago, Jrmh said:

You have probably seen the three sketch maps in images 203,204 and 205 of the War Diary link?

Yes, thanks again for all you've done, regards Chris.

21 hours ago, ChrisMedic said:

Good afternoon to all, may I ask for a bit of help as I'm not an experienced researcher?

My wife's great uncle, Arthur William Hatcher 24851, 1st Norfolk Regt is interred in Combles Communal Military Extension, Plot: III.E.27, died 04/09/1916.

If anyone has any photos it would be much appreciated. Also I believe he perished during the attack on Falfemont Farm near Guillemont, any information on this would be great as well.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

Faffemont Farm was a nasty business - from memory, the planned artillery bombardment was diverted to a French division to their south but the infantry went in anyway. The battalions conducting the frontal assault were pinned on the slopes below the farm and took heavy casualties until the 1st Bedfordshires on the left flank broke into the German lines around Wedge wood and bombed / bayoneted their way into the farm itself, which in turn released the pinned battalions from the slopes. A costly day for the 15th Brigade. Odds are that he was wounded or killed on the slopes, although a group (platoon?) of Norfolks who found themselves in the Bedfordshires' lines during the assault also got into the farm and were involved in the hand to hand  the fighting if memory serves?

3 hours ago, steve fuller said:

Faffemont Farm was a nasty business - from memory, the planned artillery bombardment was diverted to a French division to their south but the infantry went in anyway. The battalions conducting the frontal assault were pinned on the slopes below the farm and took heavy casualties until the 1st Bedfordshires on the left flank broke into the German lines around Wedge wood and bombed / bayoneted their way into the farm itself, which in turn released the pinned battalions from the slopes. A costly day for the 15th Brigade. Odds are that he was wounded or killed on the slopes, although a group (platoon?) of Norfolks who found themselves in the Bedfordshires' lines during the assault also got into the farm and were involved in the hand to hand  the fighting if memory serves?

Thanks for that, it makes it clearer. regards, Chris.