Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt.R.Levitt, 6th Loyal North Lancs, D of Wd's 7/7/17

Old Owl

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone may have access to the War Diary for the 6th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regt., for the period April to September,1917?

I am looking for any mentions of Lieut/Capt Robert Levitt who died from wounds 7/7/17 at Bagdad. He may have been wounded in April or May,1917.

Any help much appreciated.

Robert

The Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, Saturday July 14 1917

THE ROLLOF HONOUR

CAPT. ROBERT LEVITT, of the Loyal North Lancashires, who has died from wounds received in action last April, is the younger son of Mr. and Mrs. William Levitt, of 18, Victoria Terrace, Belle Vue Terrace, Leeds. Before the war he was in the service of the National Provincial Bank at Durham and Gateshead.

Confirms he was wounded in April 1917. The above notice was also published in the Yorkshire Evening Post the same day, which also included a portrait photograph of Captain Levitt (of the usual newspaper quality).

Many thanks Graeme and Harry.

I did infact purchase the photos which included around 24 other family pictures from the period and older, a fascinating lot incuding a family group 15" x 11" taken circa 1910.

The newspaper entries are very useful indeed and confirm what I had suspected. His last letter to his mother is annotated and dated: Above Bagdad, April,14th-'17, so it appears that he was wounded soon after that date, hopefully the war diary may give a more precise date and also the circumstances surrounding his wounding.

Cheers,

Robert

Just bumping this one back to the top in the hope that someone can assist with the War Diary.

Thanks.

Robert

PM me an email address and I'll let you have the diary for April/May. I can't see him mentioned by name though

PM me an email address and I'll let you have the diary for April/May. I can't see him mentioned by name though

Many thanks Stephen, copies received safely.

Cheers,

Robert

Happy to help :-)