Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you identify Unit and anything else about this soldier?

isanders

Royal Engineers cap badge and signal service white-over-blue brassard.

In the top pic he seems to have a Military Medal and a ribbon before it, which would be a superior gallantry medal, so DCM possibly?

Decorations agreed, and photo taken after the 1914 star ribbon issued but before overseas chevrons issued so late 1917 a favourite.

Tailored to a good fit [see collar] and signal service armband incorporated in rank badge.

The second photo wearing economy jacket so probably after late 1914 and before mid 1916. Boots clean. This young man liked to give a good account of himself.

Thanks both, any idea what's sticking out of left hand breast pocket in top photo?

The second photo wearing economy jacket.

Ahemm...."simplified" jacket :hypocrite: agree with everything else.

Also (more usefully) - he appears to be wearing breeches and has his puttees wound top down indicating a mounted role. (supported by the absence of a belt)

CHris

I know that the photographs of the day played funny tricks with colours but the "Superior Award" looks to be a single solid colour to me

The RE Signal Service had a detachment in Paris. In mid-1919 there were questions asked in the House of Commons about 16 of these men being employed as "Baudot dirigeurs" by the French. The Baudot system was one in which signals were translated automatically into typographic characters.

TR

so you are looking for an RE other rank VC then.

Could it possibly be a 1st type British Empire Medal? VC would have had a miniature bronze cross on it.

Thanks both, any idea what's sticking out of left hand breast pocket in top photo?

It's the end of a leather fob for a whistle.....

post-7141-0-89643900-1395302592_thumb.jp

Regards

Tocemma

Could it possibly be a 1st type British Empire Medal? VC would have had a miniature bronze cross on it.

not until mid 1917.

AO 114/1917 refers

not until mid 1917.

AO 114/1917 refers

But he's wearing a 14-15 star so this photo is after mid 1917.

I know that the photographs of the day played funny tricks with colours but the "Superior Award" looks to be a single solid colour to me

Having looked at it again there may be some variation in the shades on the left(as worn). Also the ribbon seems to be about twice the width of the other medals, I am no expert so could the ribbon actually be two awards or are there differences in ribbon width between medals??

not until mid 1917.

AO 114/1917 refers

But he's wearing a 14-15 star so this photo is after mid 1917.

Simon: You're mixing the 1914 and 1914-15 Stars together - the 1914 Star was not authorized until very late 1917, with initial issue of ribbon to those entitled from early/mid 1918 when stocks became available. The 1914-15 Star itself was not authorized until very late 1918, with initial issue of ribbon to those entitled from early 1919:

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=130624

The point still stands though that if it is the VC ribbon at the front it should have the small emblem on it by this date. However, what should be done and what is done are often an entirely different matter.

Having looked at it again there may be some variation in the shades on the left(as worn). Also the ribbon seems to be about twice the width of the other medals, I am no expert so could the ribbon actually be two awards or are there differences in ribbon width between medals??

I think what you're seeing as shades and a really wide ribbon is just the dark edge of the MM ribband that has blended in somewhat with the first ribbon. The VC ribbon is 38mm, and usually British medal ribbons of the period are 32mm wide, so if you divide them up with this in mind then the widths are all correct. There are exceptions (eg the Victory Medal ribbon is also 38mm, and certain foreign awards like the French Croix de Guerre are usually wider as well).

http://postimg.org/image/yps6xlj55/

IMG_Copy_Copy.jpg

Andrew-

My point is that the photo is after mid 1917. ie: 1918, 1919, 1920, etc...

The BEM (Medal of the Order of the British Empire [Military Award]) had a solid coloured ribbon from 1917 up until 1922.

My point is that the photo is after mid 1917. ie: 1918, 1919, 1920, etc...

Yes, correct but for the wrong reasons, as stated. In mid to late 1917 there was no issue of either 1914 (or 1914-15) Star ribbon. Issue of 1914 Star ribbon did not begin until early 1918. Saying "But he's wearing a 14-15 star so this photo is after mid 1917" is technically correct but very misleading (since issue of ribbon for those entitled to the 1914-15 Star did not occur until 1919). Two different medals, neither of which a soldier entitled to would be wearing ribbons for in 1917.

As there are no RE Sgt VCs with MM as far as I can see we perhaps need to look elsewhere. i wonder if it could be a Croix de Guerre [belgium] or something similar - such would not be too uncommon for a long-serving, probably regular, MM winner

My understanding is that foreign decorations should only be worn after British medals and with the sovereign's permission. Gallantry medals are always worn before campaign medals.

That is correct.