Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lookup, please - 3rd Coldstream Guards War Diary - October, 1915

Tom Morgan

Could anyone do a lookup for me, please? I have heard that the 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards were present (on parade, I guess) when King Georve V fell from his horse on 29th October, 1915. I should just like to check this by seeing if the War Diary mentions it.

Can anyone help?

Best wishes -

Tom

• Admin

Tom

The war diary for 27th - 31st October simply says " In billets at HESDIGNEUL" so if they were present when the King fell off his horse, they were too discreet to mention it.

Glen

• 2 months later...

I can't help with 3/Coldstream, Tom, but 2nd Guards Brigade MG Coy war diary for 28 October 1915 has the following:

The Coy marched to Lillers for the inspection of the Guards Division by H.M. The King, but owing to the accident of H.M. The King the inspection could not take place and orders to return were received [to return to Norrent-Fontes]. Perhaps the Coldstream got the message not to go before the 2nd Brigade MG Coy?

MIke

SPOF and Perth Digger - thank you for your answers to my question. Please accept my apologies for not having noticed them until this afternoon.

Tom