Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th KOYLI October 1917

harkerr@btinternet.com

Hi

Would anyone have details of the movements or even the War Diary for this period for the 9th KOYLI.

They were in the 21st Division and were earlier in the month involved in the Battle of Broodseinde on 4th October, but I am more interested in the activities of the battalion around the 22nd October when the man I am interested in died.

Allthough they are not listed on the LLT as involved in Passchendaele they were obviously in the area.

Regards

Richard

Have you read " Pontefract to Picardy " by Derek Clayton - History of 9th KOYLI in WW1 ?

Extract from WD -

21st Oct 9 KOYLI relieved the 13 DLI in trenches near Reutel. 11 men were killed by German shelling before the battn was withdrawn to Railway Dugouts Transport Farm on 23rd Oct being relieved by 1 East Yorks

Richard

The war diary states: '5.30am Enemy shelled trenches heavily between 4 am and 7am the shelling being particularly severe in reply to our barrage at 5.30am. C Coy in support suffered several casualties. The rest of the day passed quietly and the night was very quiet.'

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Colin

Hi

Thank you both for your replies.

He is KIA on 22nd , so I presume he was one of the casualties from the shelling.

Regards

Richard