Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment

Simon Mills

Does anyone have access to the War Diary of the 1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment?

I am trying to find any references to a Lt. Col. Henry Stewart Anderson (RAMC) who was attached to the Regiment in France from 18th August 1914 before being invalided home on or about 14th/15th January 1915.

Any information would be much appreciated.

S.

Simon

Looks like there is a mention of his relief on 11 Jan 1915 that says "Capt Harris (?) returns, relieves Anderson"

There is a picture of Anderson on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:North_Staffs_1_Bn_officers_1914.jpg front row, far right.

Nigel

Not sure that the 11th January entry refers to H S Anderson, though - the photo on Wikipedia shows that the Transport Officer was also called Anderson (E.W.) who may have been the one relieved by Captain Harris? There is a Lieutenant Harris also shown in the photo.

The only entry I can find specifically referring to H S Anderson is on 6th October 1914 ("Strength of the Battalion is now 25 officers (including Major H S Anderson RAMC)". I haven't found any other mentions up to March 1915 and there is no mention of Major Anderson being injured on or around 14th to 15th January.

Reckon you're right and it's Anderson the Transport Officer referred to.

Many thanks to you both for your help on this one.

As Henry Stewart Anderson was an RAMC officer I kind of suspected that there may not be a great deal of infrmation on him in the Battalion War Diary, but I appreciate your input and your taking the time on my behalf. Needless to say if you come across any further references to Lt. Col. Anderson in your research then I'd love to know more.

Thanks again,

Simon.

All the same, I was a little surprised that, if he was invalided home, there was no mention of it - not even a reference to his replacement. I only went through to March 1915 - is the January date reasonably certain or is it worth checking later dates?

C

Absolutely certain. Anderson's service record with the RAMC Museum states that from 15th January 1915 he was back in England it clealy states that he was sick, although no mention is made as to the natutre of the illness. However it must have been reaonably serious as his next appointment to the HMHS Britannic was not until the end of the year on 21st December...

S.