Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Map References For PoW Camps?

Duddridge

Hello, I've been searching but does anyone know where map references can be obtained for PoW camps? I am particularly interested in the following (where my great-grandfather was held): Darmstadt and Giessen (Germany); and Szprotawa and Strzalkowo (Poland). Many thanks in advance.

I take it you have seen the Pope-Hennessy map available on-line?

Unfortunately you cannot access the map which is part of the book. All you get is a basic description of where the camp is in relation to the nearest town. I have been trying to find out the actual location of Giessen camp for years.

Admin,

Thanks for the link, it is the map from the Pope-Hennessy book, but as I said before the location descriptions are vague.

Steve.

• Admin

Steve

Thanks for the extra detail. I replied on the basis that, as Seaforths has mentioned, not all the online books have the map.

Glen

Unfortunately you cannot access the map which is part of the book. All you get is a basic description of where the camp is in relation to the nearest town. I have been trying to find out the actual location of Giessen camp for years.

Do you know roughly where it is ie. north, south, east or west? Near any large city? I have maps, 125 of them to be exact so a clue would help as I don't have the time at the moment to scour them all. Try googling it first and let me know if you want me to look for it and have a rough clue as to the area.