Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German soldiers pic?

heatherannej

Hi All .... i wonder if any of you can help please?

I have had a postcard for ages, purchased on the internet from Germany. There is nothing on the back to suggest where it was published etc but on the front it bears a crudely hand-written title "A BATTERY "GASSED" - LE BOEF - SOMME FRONT". I purchased it because of a 1916 family connection with Lesboeufs, nr Ginchy, Somme.

I have attached a section of this photo ..... the wording is in English (yes) but something makes me query whether I am looking at German soldiers here .... can anyone enlighten me at all. Tell me if the scan is not good enough and I'll try getting a digital image with my camera.

post-5774-0-19797200-1394815030_thumb.jp

Many thanks, bye for now Heather

They look to me like they are German - but others with better knowledge, and who methinks are probably dressing for dinner right now ( :closedeyes:)), will doubtless add much more. BUT, yes please, a full photograph!

Looks like a British 18 Pdr Battery that has been abandoned - the dead horses in the picture seem to indicate that it was manned to the last. The soldiers appear to be German.

Probably 1918 the Spring offensive.

A more detailed scan would be welcome but the guns do look like 18 pounder Mk IVs which would suggest 1918. Gas was often used at this stage as a means of driving gunners away from their weapons

Hi all .... Thank you. I shall try for close-ups on gun/s and men tomorrow and will put the full scan on too, albeit that it will be a small image. It's not a pleasant image which is why I erred on the side of caution with the first cut image :-( While I'm at it I'll take a pic of a group of Germans I have .... they pose with a board describing them/their regiment. I'll start a new thread with that though. Bye for now Heather

While I'm at it I'll take a pic of a group of Germans I have .... they pose with a board describing them/their regiment. I'll start a new thread with that though. Bye for now Heather

Looking forward to that one! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I hadn't forgotten about this thread ... only just received my computer back, after an upgrade whilst I was away.

This is the first of three images .... does this help at all. Best Regards Heather

post-5774-0-40387800-1397136187_thumb.jp

The second image .....

post-5774-0-00636600-1397136374_thumb.jp

a third image ..... many thanks in anticipation .... Heather

post-5774-0-63594600-1397136579_thumb.jp

a third image ..... many thanks in anticipation .... Heather

post-5774-0-63594600-1397136579_thumb.jp

Certainly look German to me - the soldier in the last one especially so, but also the officer in the first

Thank you very much ... apologies for having to wait so long for the images .... Heather

Thanks so much for the help ... it is much appreciated. Heather

P.S. ................. have you any suggestions as to what we are looking at when we look at this scene please? Are the guns captured British ones, for instance?

Many thanks Heather