Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Jabez Ham - Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Barney09

Hello.

I have a Great Uncle who died in 1915. Anyone know how I can find out more information on his death?

born TINTAGEL Age 6 in 1901 Census

TINTAGEL'S WAR DEAD

WORLD WAR ONE AND WORLD WAR TWO

THEY GAVE THEIR TODAY'S FOR OUR TOMORROW'S

THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR 1914 - 1918

Private Jabez Ham Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 04/03/1915 21 FALMOUTH CEMETERY CornwallK. E. 19. Son of Enos and Merina Ham, Homeleigh, Tintagel.

Name: HAM, JABEZ

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Date of Death: 04/03/1915

Service No: 16883

Additional information: Son of Enos and Merina Ham, of Homeleigh, Tintagel.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: K. E. 19.

Cemetery: FALMOUTH CEMETERY

Thanks.

Barney09

he is recorded as being a home casualty (ie not in France etc)

The Cornish & Devon Post recorded his death in its edition of 13th March 1915: 'DEATH OF A TINTAGEL TERRIER IN TRAINING AT FALMOUTH'. It is with regret that we record the death of Mr Jabez Ham, a native of Tintagel, who was in training for the army at Falmouth. From information received, it appears that on Tuesday of last week, he complained of feeling unwell. In the morning they were to take a route march, but he did not accompany the others. On being seen by the doctor later, it was found he was seriously ill. Neither of the officers in the place knew the address of his friends, and he was too ill to inform them, and before the others (several of whom are from the district) returned, he had passed away. He was buried on Friday with military honours. The remainder of the men in the house in which the deceased was staying, we are informed, had been removed to a spot some distance away, where they are to be confined for some weeks in order to prevent the disease spreading. Deep sympathy is expressed with the bereaved parents'.

The nature of the disease is not revealed, but if you applied for a copy of his death certificate, the cause will be on there.

Hello Nick.

Thanks for this. Do you have access to the Newspaper records for the Tiverton, Devon area. If so, I have another Great Uncle who died in Belgium. is there any mention of Herbert Dunn (Durham Light Infantry) who died in action 16/12/1917.

Regaards.

Barney09

Barney

Unfortunately I don't have access to the Tiverton newspapers. When I was doing research for the book I contacted a researcher in Cornwall to have a look on my behalf.

Regards

Nick