Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

King's African Rifles Philip Dunstan Bishop Captain MC

Urs

Born Hammersmith 1883

1901 Clerk to a Colonial Broker

1906 Leaves UK for Quebec Canada working as a Tinsmith. From later records we find he also worked for the Canadian Police prior to 1914

1914 Reported in London Gazette awarded temporary rank of Lieutenant

1915 Reported in London award of Military Cross when in command of a post at Karonga, Nyasaland.

1920 Emigrated to Canada where he joined the mounted Police.

1949 Living in Bermuda, married with a son.

1951 Died suddenly.

A record shows he was Captain Bishop P D NL stores clerk KAR information submitted by P Charlton, Cinderella’s Soldiers - I wonder what the NL stands for?

Is there a way of me finding when he became a Captain as the MIC does not give the date.

I also wonder whether it was usual for a British man living in Canada to serve in the KAR?

There seems to be a wealth of information on the Forum and internet regarding the Nyasaland assault but any hints for furthering my knowledge beyond this subject would be most gratefully received.

Ursula

1st cousin 2x removed to Philip

No service record apparent in either WO339 or WO374 in the National Archives database.

I think you may have found his MC citation ? London Gazette 29 Jun 1915. Can't find any promotion to Captain there though,surely it must be there somewhere !

Hi Urs

Think you will find the NL in - Captain Bishop P D NL stores clerk KAR - relates to Nyasaland, which is where he won his MC. It was a British protectorate located in Africa, which was established in 1907. It gained its independence in 1964 and is now Malawi.

Regards

john

The Nyasaland Times of 10 September 1914: 'The King's African Rifles (Nyasaland) Reserve Force: P D Bishop, Marine Transport Department, to be local Lieutenant; dated 16 August 1914.'

The Army List of August 1918 lists him under Captains, 1st Regt., King's African Rifles. His date of promotion to Captain is given as 1 April 1917, and his seniority in Army and in Force as 1 April 1917. His entry also has the abbreviation (d) - serving with Details, and the crossed swords symbol, the explantion of which is too long to give here. Cannot find a Gazette notification for this.

The problem with finding him in the London Gazette is that he did not have a parent Regiment. His gazetting as a Lieutenant was under the heading MEMORANDA and no Regiment given.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28957/pages/8767

Likewise the notification of the award of his Military Cross states that he was 'attached King's African Rifles'. The award was indexed.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29210/pages/6271

When he resigned his commission will be a problem to find.

The despatch of the Governor of Nyasaland, dated 1 November 1915, mentions him twice, on page 7650 and 7652.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29692/supplements/7649

Wow! Thank you to all of you for your information which has explained so much more of Philip's situation - the Governor's despatch gave such a good description of how things were generally in addition to the specific event for which Philip was awarded the MC.

Sotonmate - you're right it must be out there somewhere - I won't give up looking!

That's great thank you - he emigrated to Canada just 9 weeks after he relinquished his commision.

HarryBrook, thank you, that's really helpful to have for my records.

Kind regards,

Ursula

In the Nyasaland Times of 25 October 1917 there is an advertisement for tenders for foodstuffs placed by Capt P D Bishop, Keeper of The Central Prison, Zomba.

Thank you for that Carmania - how do you get access to the Nyasaland Times from North West Wales?

Kind regards,

Ursula

Thank you for that Carmania - how do you get access to the Nyasaland Times from North West Wales?

Kind regards,

Ursula

;)

Urs

Greetings

1. Battle of Karonga: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/29545746?uid=3738880&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21103527945631 (read on-line free).

2. Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and ability on the 9th September 1914, when in command of a post at Karonga, Nyasaland. His party consisted of about 10 Europeans and 50 native soldiers and police, and these were attacked by a force of about 350 men from German East Africa, with three machine guns. Lieutenant Bishop defended his position for four hours with great success until the arrival of a relieving column, when -the enemy were completely defeated and their guns captured.

Harry

Harry, very many thanks for this which gave me more new information which is just brilliant so thanks to you

Kind regards,

Ursula