Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieut. N. Weir - University and Public Schools Corps, Royal Fusiliers.

chrisleach78

Napier Weir was in a Public School's Battalion but not those of the Royal Fusiliers, he was in the one in the Middlesex Regiment, i.e. 16th Battalion (Public Schools).

Initially served as Private #PS/543 and went to France on 17/11/1915. Commissioned into Gloucestershire Regiment and awarded the 1914/15 Star trio.

From LLT...

16th (Service) Battalion (Public Schools)

Formed in London on 1 September 1914 by Lt-Col. J.J.Mackay. Moved to Kempton Park racecourse, going on in December to Warlingham.

July 1915 : moved to Clipstone Camp and came under command of 100th Brigade in 33rd Division. Moved in August to Perham Down.

17 November 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

25 February 1916 : left Division and transferred to GHQ Troops.

25 April 1916 : transferred to 86th Brigade in 29th Division.

11 February 1918 : disbanded near Poperinghe in Belgium.

Regards

Steve

Chris

Steve is correct - I've got a different man as PS/543 with 19th Bn RF in the UPS Brigade Royal Fusiliers. Weir's surname would not fit in the numbering system.

There is a lot of confusion in obits and newspaper pieces regarding 'Public Schools Battalions/Brigades' etc between RF and Mx Regt - or so I've been finding when searching for men of the former.

Kind regards

Colin

In my opinion there is a very strong possibility that Napier Weir is indeed your man but without more details it could be difficult to prove definitively.

Looking at WO338 Index to Officers Long Number Service Papers there are only four "N. Weir" and Napier is the only one with definite links to a "Public School" battalion that I can find. There could however be others commissioned as Territorials etc. that are not listed but Napier Weir has a file at NA, Kew under reference WO 339/61268 which could be worthwhile checking.

He is listed twice in the Surrey Mirror and County Post's Roll of Honour as having enlisted, both entries are in Merstham's section.

Firstly, in the Friday, September 18, 1914 edition he's listed as "Napier Weir, Public School Corps" and the same in the Friday, November 19, 1915 edition although this entry is under the sub-heading Kitchener's Army (as opposed to Regular Army, Territorials etc..).

I believe Napier is the 21 year old student, born in Upper Norwood and living at 19 Wynnstay Gardens, Kensington according to the 1911 census.

Regards

Steve