Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Diary of a Forgotten Battalion

Guest Hill 60

I have just received my copy of a new book by Gerald William Harvey entitled 'The Diary of a Forgotten Battalion', and is about the Household Battalion.

I haven't had time to read it yet, but a quick browse before going to work has whetted my appetite!

As is mentioned in the opening pages of the book, there hasn't been a history (detailed) of the HB before and anyone who has even a passing interest in this unusual battalion should get hold of a copy.

The work that has gone into this book is tremendous, with Gerald making many visits to Windsor, France and Belgium in his quest to tell the story of the battalion his father served in.

There are monthly records of numbers of KIA and DOW, a list of Honours and decorations awarded, cemeteries where HB graves can be found, nominal rolls of Officers serving on the 22nd Dec 1917 with the HB at the Front and in the Reserve at Windsor, along with maps and photos (colour and B&W).

ISBN: 0-9544903-0-4, price was £23.50 (and with a personalised message :)) and I'm really looking forward to getting into it, especially as I have a pair of medals to a member of the HB who was wounded.

There are 182 pages in total, soft back cover and it is around A4 size.

Hopefully as a result of this book more people will become interested in the story of the Household Battalion. The 437 Officers and Other Ranks who were killed or died of wounds deserve our attention.

Walter

Walter - Couldn't agree more. Before I purchased the medals to 1952 Trooper McKerrow I don't think I'd heard of the Household Battalion, if I had then I hadn't paid them any attention.

The book (which I notice your name appears in :ph34r:) has really made me sit up and take notice of this rather unique Army unit, and has spurred me on to search out HB items at militaria fairs etc.