Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Might this be Martin Hussey?

Urs

I am requesting help in identifying if this is Martin Hussey.

We are not entirely sure that the photo shown, from a family collection, is that of Martin.

It was taken in 1917 in Kensington, and on the back appears to be written "Gunner M.E. Hussey" followed by "Siege Battery H.A.C." (H.A.C. being the acronym for the Honorary Artillery Company).

However, Martin would only have been 16 or 17 years of age in 1917, too young to have been accepted into the army (although it is possible he could have lied about his age).

Furthermore we had believed that Martin's middle initial was J rather than E.

On balance, however, we believe that this photo is that of our Martin, but any assistance in positively identifying the young man pictured would be most welcome.

post-107994-0-71063400-1394454663_thumb.

He looks young in the picture. Do you have his service number and place of birth

If he was from Derbyshire, his middle name is James

(H.A.C. being the acronym for the Honorary Artillery Company).

Honourable Artillery Company, actually.

• Admin

The Honourable Artillery Company was a unit of the Territorial Force. It was quite possible to legitimately enlist in the TF at 17, or often younger (buglers etc).

There was no real check on age but leaving aside all the exceptions the age for the TF was seventeen but, a soldier could not serve overseas until 19 (or later 18 and a half - we know many did but those were the official ages.

The HAC only formed one Siege Battery, the 309th which went to France on 26th April 1917.

As for the photograph it's definitely an HAC Badge if you look under the Crown at the top of the badge there is a scroll with HAC and the motto is on the wavy bit at the bottom. It's too small to see here but with a magnifier on the original you should pick it up. He is wearing a lanyard which usually had a jackknife at the pocket end and what looks like bandolier style ammunition pouches. This indicates a] the soldier pictured was in the HAC and b] he was probably involved with the horse team.

Unfortunately it doesn't say whether it's your man, however I've looked for him on the medal cards on Ancestry and TNA and can't find him, once again allowing for transcription errors, omissions, my incompetence etc, this means he did not serve overseas as there was no medal entitlement. Interestingly when he reached 18 he would have come under the terms of the Military Service Act and been conscripted, most direct enlistment to the TF ceased in early 1916 when conscription was introduced but as always, there were exceptions and it probably means he remained with the Reserves in the UK.

The HAC have their own archives which includes a card index of members who served in WW1 - no idea what's on the card but may throw more light

http://www.hac.org.uk/home/about-the-hac/history/archives/

Ken

Thank you both.

Ancestry 1901 and 1911 census records Martin J Hussey born Kensington, London, Civil Parish Hammersmith and as all his siblings were born there also I have never seen any reason to think he was born anywhere else. However as you point out there is a Martin James Hussey born in Derby at that time and no other person of that name and date with records. However a 1911 census search records Martin James Hussey in Lancashire, a Martin Hussey in Worcester and 'my' Martin in London.

Sadly no service number or any other military details.

Kind regards

• Admin

I think you can be confident he was the London 'Martin' as the HAC has very strong local/London affiliations and his father was a professional man who, as a Solicitor, may have had City connections.

If you do approach the HAC be interested to know how you get on. There was an earlier thread on the forum but no feedback.

Ken

Ken, many thanks for that information. On the strength of your earlier post I have written to HAC just now and will post their reply for your information when it arrives.

Kind regards,

Ursula

Thank you both.

Ancestry 1901 and 1911 census records Martin J Hussey born Kensington, London, Civil Parish Hammersmith and as all his siblings were born there also I have never seen any reason to think he was born anywhere else. However as you point out there is a Martin James Hussey born in Derby at that time and no other person of that name and date with records. However a 1911 census search records Martin James Hussey in Lancashire, a Martin Hussey in Worcester and 'my' Martin in London.

Sadly no service number or any other military details.

Kind regards

I think you will find that Martin James Hussey was born in West Derby registration district which is Liverpool area.

Ray

Many thanks Ray,

You are right, as the only birth I can find for Martin James is West Derby.

However, I have eliminated the Derbyshire Hussey mentioned in your link and have evidence that 'my' Martin is the London one who served in the HAC.

thanks for your time and kind regards

Ursula