Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proposed new Memorial Park at Pozières

J Banning

• Admin

As this subject is now going through the legal system, any future posts will require Admin approval to ensure GWF remains distant from the court case.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so very much for listing the article. It gives a more concise picture what previously were more or less speculations.

What I do not understand is that the co-founder was sentenced and the founder, I quote." Gracey, a former soldier, has not been charged with any offences."

As founder and board director he is responsible and accountable for the correct execution of "office".

Hopefully we can hear more in the future about his role and possible knowledge of the co-founder's actions.

The original intention of this project was to rebuild the school at Pozieres, but this was no doubt scrapped when preliminary costings came to hand. It was then downgraded to rebuilding a replica of the original windmill on land adjacent to the memorial site. I once saw a very amateurish, hand drawn plan of the proposed development which summed it up. Thankfully, that too didn't come to fruition either and so we have now ended up with this horrid, tacky "animal war memorial" on the actual battlefield. It looks as though it has been put together by local children with donations from a garden centre. This whole thing has stunk to high heaven from day one and has finally been revealed for what it is. I trust that nature and a lack of maintenance will assist in the demolition of this blot on the landscape and return the site to its original state. To top it off, Barry and Yvonne Gracey were both made recipients of the Legion D'Honneur for their efforts here at Pozieres.

On 26/04/2021 at 18:17, egbert said:

Thank you so very much for listing the article. It gives a more concise picture what previously were more or less speculations.

What I do not understand is that the co-founder was sentenced and the founder, I quote." Gracey, a former soldier, has not been charged with any offences."

As founder and board director he is responsible and accountable for the correct execution of "office".

Hopefully we can hear more in the future about his role and possible knowledge of the co-founder's actions.

In reply to Egbert - many people have expressed similar sentiments as to why Barry Gracey was not charged given his major involvement. Wife Yvonne has already pleaded guilty to fraud and is awaiting sentencing later this month. I don't think she is in the best of health, so the plan may have been for her to take the entire whole rap - therefore not implicating the husband in any way. That done, she will probably cite ill health at her sentencing, hoping for a suspended sentence to be given. Just my thoughts. They've probably been given advice. Can't tell me he was oblivious to all this.

3 hours ago, Marco said:

Can French Honour medals be cancelled? 

Highest French honours for Australian couple (sbs.com.au)

I just searched the legion website for that. It says if somebody is criminally prosecuted the medal can be revoked by decree. So yes it is possible. The next question though is how many Pozieres dignitaries are involved with the whole project/medal distinction and do not want to be ridiculed and rather like to see the dust settling fast.......

Whilst the French Government was dishing out Legion D'Honneurs to the Graceys, the Australian Government responded in kind with the award of an Order of Australia to an ex local official. I'm Australian, and witnessed the presentation at the 2016 Centenary of Pozieres Memorial Service. The complete debacle that has followed has devalued these awards immensely. I'd have thought the vetting process for these awards would have been far more stringent as the Pozieres project was always questionable from the start.

On 04/05/2021 at 07:27, Bruce L said:

Whilst the French Government was dishing out Legion D'Honneurs to the Graceys, the Australian Government responded in kind with the award of an Order of Australia to an ex local official. I'm Australian, and witnessed the presentation at the 2016 Centenary of Pozieres Memorial Service. The complete debacle that has followed has devalued these awards immensely. I'd have thought the vetting process for these awards would have been far more stringent as the Pozieres project was always questionable from the start.

Here is the recipient of the Australian award, mentioned on the official Australian Parliament website:

4714009.PDF

At the end of the day, all that was ever achieved by the Graceys at Pozieres was the erection of a pile of inappropriate, cheap ornaments,  assembled by amateurs, in the form of a "animal war memorial". They managed to ingratiate themselves with a lot of people in authority in order to achieve tacit approval for their "project". Their former Member of Parliament in Australia even presented them with a "Federal Member's Award" for their great work. Their H.Q. in Pozieres was the Butterworth Farm B and B, then owned by the former mayor of Pozieres. Special smoker's accomodation was provided for the couple. Nearby Le Tommy cafe was also well patronised. No doubt there would have been a temptation to use donated funds to pay for accomodation, meals, booze and cigarettes during their extended stays at Pozieres. I assume these items would have been regarded as fair and reasonable travel expenses by this couple. Come 2016 and all there was to show for all this is some small white crosses in the form of the rising sun badge in the field adjacent to the official Windmill site. These were made by a men's charitable association in Australia, so were probably donated. In the same year, the Graceys then both receive France's highest honour the Legion D'Honneur - the first ever to a husband and wife - and the mayor of Pozieres gets the order of Australia! Fast forward to 2021, investigators find $94 in the memorial account and Mrs Gracey pleads guilty to several charges of fraud in the Coffs Harbour Magistrates Court, New South Wales. Due to be sentenced late May, this month. Watch this space.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest Guardian article on this sad affair. How Gracey got away with it god only knows. Apparently some people actually believe he knew nothing about it and didn't notice the credits to his personal bank account!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/may/31/charity-co-founder-sentenced-for-using-anzac-memorial-funds-for-personal-use?fbclid=IwAR09BXhAeAjX7VGaiF_tSnyk5p1Pajkzbad2kK_iBen0FP7vg1b4QL3w2I4

The most concerning aspect of the report is that Gracey is still planning to deposit a significant quantity of bricks on the site. While it will hopefully be less awful than the "Animal memorial", it seems that a few pallet loads of bricks will eventually be on their way. Not a good omen.

Edited by keithmroberts

Hall gets a 16 month ICO, which is served in her community. Maybe she will receive another medal from the Australian officials for devoting her life to her community towards the end of the sentence.

Also my respect for the Australian justice system tends to zero. Gracey did never realize that substantial funds were transfered from his wife to his acct?

What a joke and betrayal of the kia Aussis.

Edited by egbert

I received my refund but it took two emails to get it.  I was under the impression other people had received theirs too!

15 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

The most concerning aspect of the report is that Gracey is still planning to deposit a significant quantity of bricks on the site. While it will hopefully be less awful than the "Animal memorial", it seems that a few pallet loads of bricks will eventually be on their way. Not a good omen.

I agree Keith, just what we need - some brick pavers to be laid amongst that disgusting, cheap, tacky animal war memorial/garden centre display. This is a sacred site and should be returned to its natural state. There's still very many missing soldiers laying beneath the surface at that spot.

14 hours ago, egbert said:

Hall gets a 16 month ICO, which is served in her community. Maybe she will receive another medal from the Australian officials for devoting her life to her community towards the end of the sentence.

Also my respect for the Australian justice system tends to zero. Gracey did never realize that substantial funds were transfered from his wife to his acct?

What a joke and betrayal of the kia Aussis.

The suspended sentence is very popular here in Australia Egbert - virtually a slap on the wrist. She's obviously taken the fall for her husband and then played the poor health and age card. Obviously got some good advice. I once had a neighbour many years ago who defrauded her employer and ended up in the Supreme Court of Queensland - sentence was 18 months jail, suspended immediately! I agree with you in that I too, have no respect for the justice system. About the only punishment is probably some loss of face and public humiliation - though these types generally tell everybody that they've done nothing wrong and someone else was to blame. Unfortunately they are so convincing that they are often believed! I actually emailed the editor of their local newspaper to see if they were covering the story - and received a very negative, rude reply. Obviously another friend who's been convinced of their innocence.

ICO ... That's the same as "community service"?

M.

50 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

ICO ... That's the same as "community service"?

M.

In E&W you can have a community order which has attached requirements of things like X hours unpaid work, curfews  and X hours attending a treatment programme.  The Australian ICO seems to be similar in style to this,

Craig

17 hours ago, Fedelmar said:

I received my refund but it took two emails to get it.  I was under the impression other people had received theirs too!

Where did you send your request?

Tony

It was quite a few years ago ... when suspicions were first raised and Barry came out and said that if people wanted a refund they could have it.  I emailed Yvonne and asked for it back.  As I said, it took a couple of goes but it was transferred to my bank account.  

7 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

In E&W you can have a community order which has attached requirements of things like X hours unpaid work, curfews  and X hours attending a treatment programme.  The Australian ICO seems to be similar in style to this,

Craig

In New South Wales, an Intensive Correction Order is an order from the Court that a period of imprisonment be served within one's community - in other words you don't go to jail, you can stay at home! Probably the only inconvenience is the occasional visit to the local police station to report in. Other than that, life goes on as normal. There might be some community service included which wouldn't be too onerous.

She also got 100 hours of community work ... hopefully that includes cleaning public toilet bowls with a toothbrush.

I mentioned in a reply to Egbert that the disgraced pair in this fraud will inevitably claim that they have done nothing wrong. Sure enough, right on cue, the co-director has just recently made a statement to an Australian journalist saying they've "done nothing bloody wrong". How predictable was that? A petition is now underway in Australia to have the Legion D'Honneur awards removed from both directors of the now disgraced Pozieres Remembrance Association. There is also a push on to have that cheap and tacky "animal war memorial" removed from the Pozieres battlefield.