Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Object of WWI?

Renaat1986

On my walk this afternoon I've encountered this object in a grass field (less than a mile from the Pool of peace). Anybody knows if it is WWI related? Due to the recent find of the Yperietbombs and the warnings I didn't touch the object to turn it over. Beter safe than sorry...

Sorry if this is a "stupid" question but I haven't seen anything like this before...

DSC00461.JPG

Dimension are about 30 - 40 cm long / Diameter thick part 8 cm

It looks like a Stokes Mortar Round and it looks as if it's in a very dangerous condition. You did well to leave it alone.

Tom

Stokes Mortar, probably one of the most dodgy items, They can be chemical filled and need a wide birth.

Especially if a 4 inch round but I wouldn't recommend measuring it as an ouija board message saying "it was only an explosive 3 inch" can be equally distressing

The one in the photo may be particularly dangerous as I think that's the heavily-corroded remains of the striker lever sticking out of the right-hand side. So it might not have ever been used. In which case it might only be mud and rust holding everything in the "safe" position.

Tom

That is very similar to this that I found on the wall of the Lonsdale Cemetery on The Somme last year.

post-100478-0-00094100-1394489752_thumb.

That's the one I came across last year, it was next to some weeds along the outer edge of the wall of Lonsdale cemetery, we found another on the other side of the cemetery, amazing 2 next to the same cemetery

On friday I went back to see if DOVO collected the bomb. To my surprise there was another bomb laying next to it. This one

IMG_2262.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks! I'm new to this forum and it is exciting to read and learn from a vast field of knowledge that is here. I am curious about the ordinance that is found while out walking. Do most people ignore the location of a discovery or do you report the location so it can be disposed of ? I understand the amount of ordinance remaining is overwhelming for the few who deal with it.

Hi RobertG; welcome to the forum.

Almost everyone who has visited the battlefields will have seen items of live munitions laying on the ground. To be honest it's difficult not to find it. Everyone I know just leaves it where it is, takes a photo if it's an unusual piece and just walks on. The official line (I think) is to report the find but in reality there is so much that the police would have to employ more people just to answer the phone.

Stoke's are possibly the most unstable and dangerous items encountered and anyone thinking it's the exhaust from a moped may not live long enough to learn their mistake.

Andy

Edited by Ice tiger

Makes perfect sense not to play with a Stokes or any other for that matter. I did read where troops 'fiddled' with the fuses of duds out of curiosity and had bad results.

Hello folks! I'm new to this forum and it is exciting to read and learn from a vast field of knowledge that is here. I am curious about the ordinance that is found while out walking. Do most people ignore the location of a discovery or do you report the location so it can be disposed of ? I understand the amount of ordinance remaining is overwhelming for the few who deal with it.

Hello Robert (and welcome)

Since I knew that DOVO checks/ drives along in the area I didn't report it at first. A week later (14 march) I did call the police to tell them that 2 bombs were laying in a field next to the road. Yesterday I checked the place again but the two of them were still there (With the accident last week in the back of my head I did reported again...).

Stoke's are possibly the most unstable and dangerous items encountered and anyone thinking it's the exhaust from a moped may not live long enough to learn their mistake.

That emphasis added observation was the one that really caught my attention....