Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trenches from Bazentin to High Wood

mascott

We have arranged our visit to the area of Bazentin-Le-Petit and High Wood for April 27th and want to find out if we can get hold of some good trench maps? i understand that the village was taken by the 14th July 1916 and then it took about 10 weeks before the Germans were pushed out of the Wood and Switch Line trench. Is there any publications that would cover this period and where do you get them?

We just want to have as complete a picture as possible before we arrive there.

I do have a copy of Bazentin Ridge by Edward Hancock and The Hell they called High Wood by Terry Norman and they do show some detail.

Michael Scott

Try page 117 of Matthew Richardsons " The Tigers "

Or Google "McMasters university trench maps"

• 2 weeks later...

David

Here is a trench map of Longueval for August 1916 - I took this one when my brother and I spent a few days exploring Bazentin Ridge and High Wood, tracing the spot where our grandfather was wounded 18th July 1916. You can buy them from the publisher and often on the well-Known E-auction site.

Michael - If you are walking the area then Paul Reeds book "Walking the Somme" is incredibly useful because as well as all the history, it tells you where to park, and which footpaths you can use without upsetting the local farmers.

William

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information regarding the maps. We have had to postpone the visit for some medical reasons and we are hoping to reschedule for September. I have ordered 3 trench maps from GH Smith and they should be delivered any day now.

One of them is the map from Bazentin to Longueval, and one is for Ovillers showing La Boisselle, where we would have been staying, right on the German front line.
I am still learning how to use this site and occasionally get lost and forget my own posts. So I hope you will forgive me for any delay in getting back to you.

I will order a copy of "Walking the Somme" by Paul Reed so that we have got as much information as possible.

Alan24 pointed me towards GH Smith who supply trench maps and I have had a look and thought that they were quite good.

William,

As your Grandfather was wounded in the area of Caterpillar Valley the day after my Grandfather was wounded at Bazentin you might be interested in reading the book by Edward Hancock called "Bazentin Ridge". This is a good account of the fighting that took place but deals mainly with days up to the 17th July when he writes that the Battle for Bazentin Ridge was officially concluded.

Once again thank you for your replies and your patience.

Mascott

William,

As your Grandfather was wounded in the area of Caterpillar Valley the day after my Grandfather was wounded at Bazentin you might be interested in reading the book by Edward Hancock called "Bazentin Ridge". This is a good account of the fighting that took place but deals mainly with days up to the 17th July when he writes that the Battle for Bazentin Ridge was officially concluded.

Once again thank you for your replies and your patience.

Mascott

Michael - thanks; yes I have Edward Hancock's book, although it is curiously patchy regarding the 8th Brigade on 14th July; his account is very strong on events on the western portion of Bazentin Ridge, with the 110th Brigade etc, but much weaker in his treatment of the eastern portion. Nigel Caves companion book "Delville Wood" gives 8th Brigade a mention, and has good maps showing their position, but he doesn't seem very interested in them. I think the lack of a published 3rd Division history really shows in the Battleground Europe Series. The 3rd Division's actions at 3rd Ypres suffers similarly in the volume on the Battle of Delville Wood.

William

Have just received my 3 copies of the trench maps that I ordered from GH Smiths and I am very pleased with them. The 1st one covers the areas of Illies, Violaines, Festubert 1915. The 2nd one covers the area of Bazentin-Le-Petit to Longuval in the summer of 1916 and the 3rd one shows Ovillers and La Boisselle in June of 1916.

Thank you for all the advice given.

mascott

• 11 months later...
Guest josephdunn

My house is called 'Bazentin.' It was so called after the brother of the woman who on being newly married had the house built in 1929.

Her brother was Harry Holmes Clough of the 14th Bn The York and Lancaster Regt (The Barnsley Pals). He was killed on Jujy 16th, 1916.