Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals, death plaques to NUNN

MartinN

I am trying to trace my grandfathers and two great uncles medals, they were Charles Wright NUNN, Frederick Wright NUNN and James Wright NUNN. James and Frederick were both killed in action, so I am looking for their death plaques as well.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CWGC do not list Wright-Nunn but there are 327 Nunn named casualties on their records. 

there is a Frederick Wright NUNN 7794 son of James Wright Nunn

no Charles Wright only Charles , Ancestry have 8 Charles W Nunn

So James Wright Nunn is presumably Lance-Corporal 17143 5th Company, Machine Gun Corps, Killed in Action 13th November 1916 and remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

CWGC shows surname as Nunn and additional information is "Son of James Wright Nunn, of Sunnyside Rd., Camelon, Falkirk, and the late Elizabeth Jane Dixon Nunn. "

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/806759/nunn,-james-wright/

Soldiers died in the Great War has him as surname Nunn, born and resident Camelon, enlisted Falkirk. Formerly 11874 HLI.

Qualified for the 1914 Star, having landed in France on the 14th August 1914. Also received the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. Looks like they were all issued by the MGC, under surname Nunn but the Service Medal Rolls on Ancestry should confirm.

According to CWGC he was 23 when he died so born late 1892 / 1893

Used SDGW to look for another Nunn with a Camelon connection and drew a blank. Then tried Falkirk and got Guardsman 7794 Frederick Wright Nunn, who was killed in action on the 11th November 1914 whilst serving in France & Flanders with the Scots Guards. He was born Middlesborough, Yorkshire, resident Falkirk, and enlisted Linlithgow.

CWGC adds that he too was 23 when he died and he is remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. He was serving with the 1st Battalion when he died. Additional information is that he was the "Son of James Wright Nunn and Elizabeth Jane Dixon Nunn, of Sunnyside Rd., Camelon, Falkirk."

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/919171/nunn,-frederick-wright/

Again Service Medal Rolls on Ancestry should confirm names in which the medals were issued. The medals were the 1914 Star and the Victory Medal & British War Medal. The card is noted "Pres. Dead" (Presumed Dead?). The International Committee of the Red Cross have two files regarding him, but both may possibly relate to the same query received from a Mrs T Green of 30 Pierson Road, North Ormesby, Middlesborough.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3774254/3/2/

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/1524417/3/2/

The 19 year old Private Frederick Wright Nunn, Scots Guards, born Middlesborough, Yorkshire, was recorded in Barracks at Caterham Surrey on the 1911 Census of England & Wales.

The death of a Charles Wright Nunn occurred in England in 1969 - presumably the third brother? That was late enough that the published quarterly index of deaths in England and Wales included a date of birth - in this case 16th September 1896. So in theory he would have been old enough to have enlisted from the second month of the war without even thinking about lieing about his age.

Given the connection to the Falkirk area it might be worth while checking out local newspapers. If nothing else Charles might get a mention in connection with the death of his brothers.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Frederick Wright Nunn was researched by forum pal Hett65 (John Grainger) and is included in his book Blue Line To Trench Line

his brother James Wright Nunn is also mentioned

Details of his book can be found on this thread here    BLUE LINE TO TRENCH LINE

Regards Ray

• 3 months later...

Just like to add a note of thanks to all those replying to this thread. In particular those who researched for me.

no result re finding the medals or memorial plaques but  I will keep looking.

regards Martin 

Nunn medals on ebay NOW 15 mins left

Martin, don't know if you've spotted this but in the 'soldiers' section there is another thread relating to a Joseph George Nunn from Cambridgeshire. I wondered if he may be connected though I'm sure there are other Nunns. It seemed odd that over one weekend there should be 2 Nunn threads and an Ebay sale of a set of Nunn medals.

Simon

A point to note is the Next of Kin Memorial Plaque was not an automatic issue, it had to be claimed by the Next of Kin on Army Form W5080 the extract below was written by a Scottish Minister regarding this. Nunn's plaque my never have been claimed. 

Is Army Form W. 5080 an absolute necessity ? The next-of-kin of each deceased soldier is required to fill it up in order " to enable the Officer in charge of Records to dispose of the plaque and commemorative scroll " which is being issued. Information is to be given as to name, age, and residence of the following relatives: widow, father, mother, children, brother of the full blood, brother of the half-blood, sister of the full blood, sister of the half-blood. In case the soldier had no relatives in any of these categories, the claimant is required to supply similar information about the soldier's grand- parents, nephews and nieces, uncles and aunts. As a kindly concession, the claimant is informed that it is unnecessary to give particulars as to uncles, &c., by marriage. This form has, I believe, been already filled in each case to enable the authorities to dispose of the effects of the deceased. Why cannot the Officer in charge of Effects give the name of next akin to Officer i/o Records and save trouble? I have had to witness the signature of many of these forms, and in several cases to fill them up, extracting the required information with difficulty from ignorant claimants unable to fill up the form themselves and rather vague about the family history. At first I regarded it as mere matter of routine, and in cases where the information available was not definite gave in- definite replies to some of the questions. This will not do. I have had one form returned for the exact date of a parent's death, which took place some twenty-six years ago, and for the last known address of a sister who went to Australia and has not been heard of for four years. I do not grudge time and trouble when it is necessary in the services of our dead soldiers' relatives, but I strongly object to what appears to me needless expenditure of effort both on my part and on the part of Government officials, already, as we are told, unable to keep pace with the issue of pensions and allowances. If this goes on I shall have to " gie up the meenistry.

Any ideas how I can find out if the death plaques were issued?

also if not can I claim them?

i will look into the other Nunn's mentioned

again thanks for the information.

6 hours ago, MartinN said:

Any ideas how I can find out if the death plaques were issued? In simple terms No records exist. 

also if not can I claim them? Again No

i will look into the other Nunn's mentioned

again thanks for the information.

Form W5080 if returned by the next of kin often survives in the deceased soldiers service or pension record.

The example I came across was that of Percival Phillips & part of the form that was with his records on ancestry is shown in this thread.

• 1 year later...

Hi - I have a plaque to Edward Frederick Thomas NUNN (10057 2nd. Essex) and a VM to Leonard NUNN (267299 2nd/5th Gloucesters).

Regards.

Stephen (NUNN) - "Maldon".

Whilst we're at it I can add 15562 PTE. C. NUNN. BASE DEPOT victory medal, 195 SPR. B.W. NUNN. R.E. 1914/5 star and 860 GNR. W.A. NUNN. R.F.A. 1914/5 star.