Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Nursing Service

Sue Light

Continuing on from the thread about women who died in the Great War, I do have the Roll of Honour of all members of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service and the Territorial Force Nursing Service who died in WW1, WW2 and also the South African War 1899-1902. It gives name, initial, nursing position, and date of death.

Regards - Sue

Guest peter johnson

Sue

There is a Marjorie Aizelwood Hodgson from Ripon, N,Yorks on the War memorial for WW2. Would you please look up info for me. She was killed Feb 42, Singapore.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter

You probably have as much information as I do; the details given are:

M. A. Hodgson, Nursing Sister, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, died 14th February 1942.

However, I do also have a short personal account of the escape from Singapore of another QA nursing sister in February 1942 - a very graphic account which may interest you. I will copy it and email to you.

Regards - Sue

• 9 months later...

Does this list ahve Mary Rigney?

regards.

Tom Burnell

Tom

Mary Rigney is not among the names on the Roll of Honour, but she does have a file at the National Archives [WO399/7028], which suggests that she was not a casualty [unless you know differently!]. I'm doing some research on members of QAIMNS and TFNS during WW1, and will be happy to check her file when I'm next at the PRO, [which due to a personal hiccup may not be for 4-6 weeks]. Part of my work is looking at a totally random selection of records, so this will fit in nicely.

Regards - Sue

Thank you Sue, I have her medals and also heard that she got an OBE but I cannot find an reference to it anywhere.

Regards.

Tom.

• 16 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 16/01/2021 at 06:56, 1/1Hertfordshire said:

16 years gone by, but do you have any information on Evelyn or Eveline Mary Hodgson? She died in Greece in December 1918 with QAIMNS.

Sue sadly died some years ago. Her legacy lives on through her website Scarlet Finders.

Michelle