Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help urgently required !

Guest jess

Hi There,

Bit of strange request this one, but wondering if anyone can confirm who wrote these lines …

Blame not my eyes that from their high aim lowered

Yet saw more than other eyes may see

Nor blame head heart hands feet that, overpowered,

Fell at thy feet to draw thy heart to me

Blame not me all that all was found unworthy

This is kind of an urgent request as we’re filming a piece today that has one of the characters quoting this and crediting Wilfred Owen. Is this correct.

Many thanks,

Jess

I don't know those lines. I doubt whether they are Owen's.

I’ve looked through my books of Great War poetry – and I have a lot – unsuccessfully. I would tentatively agree with Clive: it doesn’t sound like Owen to me, unless it was something in draft.

Are you sure it’s a Great War piece? If you can give some context – other lines or setting – I can look among my poetry collections of other wars.

It’s awful anyway. The elevated language obfuscates.

Gwyn

Jess

I've a book with the complete and unfinished poems of Owen and I can't find the lines you have posted but it was a quick scan so I may be mistaken.

Regards Doug

If it’s Charles Scott Moncrieff, he dedicated work to Owen, maybe that’s where Owen comes into this.

Let me look for this one. Maybe Song of Roland?? Trans by Moncrieff, dedicated to Owen. Original text quoted reads like a translation to me and the metre is right.

Sorry, haven't now got time to read through 4500 lines of chivalric French poetry even in English, but worth a look for someone?

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Thanks Andy - I now know that the poem quoted, and Wilfrid Owen's poems obfuscate me with incredible ease, but then some of us are more sensitive to that than others........

i've just had a look through WO's fragments to check, but i'm pretty sure it's not Owens