Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge To Ypres

Granton Chaz

Is there a quick way to get from Zeebrugge to Ypres. Thinking of getting the boat from Hull.

I have checked the trains & that takes a few hours.

There are buses from the Ferry Terminal at the port to Brugge (they are waiting for passenger when the ferry docks),

The rest is from the internet.....

Bus 74 from Brugge station to Roeselare, bus 94 to Ypres, I've never tried it but might be worth checking out...

It took me 1 hour in the car from passport control at Zeebrugge to Ypres itself on Wednesday, obviously the bus will take a lot longer, but by how much I don't know...

regards

Tom

Edit.. just had a quick check.... bus Roeslare - Ypres around 40 minutes.....

So Just the Brugge - Roeselare time to check out.... This is the route............http://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/w/index.php?title=Lijn_74_Brugge_Station_-_Roeselare_Station&oldid=168698

I wanted to take a small group of boys to the opening of the Lijssenthoek Visitor Centre in September 2012 but discovered that trying to travel from Zeebrugge to Ieper by public transport is a bit of a nightmare. As you've already found out, there is no direct train service so you have to go all the way to Kortrijk and change onto the Ieper branch line. Similarly with buses, we would have had to make various changes with gaps for waiting in between and whichever way I tried we would have been spending several hours travelling what is a fairly short distance as the crow flies. I even looked at connections from the coastal tram service; it was the same. I did look at going via Roeselare, as suggested above- it still took ages, as I recall. These transport problems eventually put the kibosh on the trip as a viable short break in term time as we would have had to allocate what amounted to a full day simply getting to and from Ieper once we were in Belgium. It was a great pity as I had sorted out all the other aspects, including accommodation in the Salient.
Good luck. Let us know if you solve the conundrum!

The distance is about 50 miles, around an hour by car. It would probably be prohibitively expensive for one or two people to take a taxi, but it might be viable for a larger group sharing a people-carrier type taxi, assuming that each pays their own way (as opposed to, say, a family group with only one or two payers). I wonder if one of our Belgian pals could find out the approximate cost. The advantages of point-to-point transport, not having to carry or transfer luggage, and the saving of time might well justify the expense .... as many people decide when travelling to an airport to go on holiday.

Yes, I ruled out a taxi as too expensive, along with minibus hire. We are not allowed to drive a school or hired minibus on the continent, so that wasn't an option. I was trying to run it as a trip for about a dozen boys at low cost but, as mentioned above, eventually had to can it. I even had wild ideas of hiring bikes in Zeebrugge-not completely out of the question but very complicated regarding 'Elf and Safety and insurance.

I wonder how the original poster has got on?

Had an email from my B & B. Looks like the only option i have is take the train if i choose to take the ferry. Taxi for 2 people two expensive

• 2 weeks later...

The distance is about 50 miles, around an hour by car. It would probably be prohibitively expensive for one or two people to take a taxi, but it might be viable for a larger group sharing a people-carrier type taxi, assuming that each pays their own way (as opposed to, say, a family group with only one or two payers). I wonder if one of our Belgian pals could find out the approximate cost. The advantages of point-to-point transport, not having to carry or transfer luggage, and the saving of time might well justify the expense .... as many people decide when travelling to an airport to go on holiday.

€ 170,00 for Bruges Ypres maximum 8 people with our minibus.