Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sassoon's medal found in treasure chest

Skipman

I tought the ribbon was thrown into the river not the actual medal?

Yes hard to throw a ribbon,but symbolic and all that.

I think this is new?

Sassoon's medal found in a treasure chest The Daily Mail

The story goes back to 2007, so... :whistle:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190564

I tought the ribbon was thrown into the river not the actual medal?

Yes hard to throw a ribbon,but symbolic and all that.

See post 16 of the thread linked above - even in 1930 Sassoon made it clear it was only the ribband bar he'd thrown in, not the medal itself.

There will be a lot of new discoverys in the next few years.

Most will be new to the public or the person themselves. Was there not a recent my Granddad the war hero article and the forum was fully aware of said hero. The person discovering the fact thought it was new.

Mr Upton, thank you for showing one is not going crazy.

Finding the actual medal is new isn't it?

Mike

Mike I believe that it is and considering that Sassoon is in my opinion the greatest of the war posts then the fact that this news has been placed in the public domain is important for all with an interest in the conflict. As for the ribbon vs medal argument I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people would understand that it was the medal that was thrown away and not the ribbon as it eventually turned out to be. If I remember correctly the excellent film REGENERATION from the book by Pat Barker included a scene where Sassoon is pictured tossing the medal into the water. It will be interesting to see just what happens when the medal plus these artifacts below are auctioned. One would like to think that the medal will be on public view whoever is lucky enough to buy it.

From the Sassoon library, the family is also selling the annotated press cuttings book of T E Lawrence, expected to fetch up to £15, 000, and Siegfried Sassoon's first edition copy of Robert Graves's Goodbye to all That, embellished throughout by Sassoon with sardonic comments (£12, 000).

Regards

Norman

This is an extract from a Reuters News Report dated 10th May 2007 [http://uk.reuters.com/article/2007/05/10/uk-britain-sassoon-idUKL1072574720070510]

"The medal is expected to fetch up to 25,000 pounds when it goes under the hammer, alongside his leather identification tag, at Christie's in London on June 6" [2007].

So is it up for sale again or was it sold seven years ago and this really is old news or am I going crazy too?

What's happening with the revolver?

It does look like old news Ken as the Telegraph has this report in 2007. I am not saying that this is the case here but it is a fact that if you search the DM web site and then load the article you are interested in the the date appearing on the page will be the current one. I do scan the DM for WW1 articles of interest of which they publish plenty and I did not see this one, still no matter whatever the answer I found it interesting.

Regards

Norman

PS The article was first published in the DM on the 09/05/2007

Wow 19.2k and 32.2 for the books.

The medal ribbon was thrown into the sea not far from here. This is the view from off Formby Point looking back towards Liverpool from way out on the sand. The coast here has eroded some hundreds of metres since 1917.The skyline has also changed completely; probably only the Liver Building would look the same; Bishop Chavasse's Anglican Cathedral would be only part complete.

post-101238-0-85183300-1394320665_thumb.