Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My new CEF badge 17th Battalion Officer

N.S.Regt.

Hi

Just got this one in today it is a 17th Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders which was part of the first contingent. the 17th was formed into a reserve Battalion which other units from Nova Scotia were sent into to await a posting to another unit. I have had the Or's version for years infact it was one of the first badges I bought as a teenager many years ago. The officers badge is one that I knew existed but never seen a copy untill now .

The badge is constructed exactly like the Or's Badge it is one peice construction and is stamped out of silver. The badge is marked inside the Stags head on the reverse STER. and is the only marking on it. The fact that it is a stamped badge and not cast is the reason I bought it as most faked silver badges are cast. The badge also shows years of cleaning as some of the details have signs of polishing. the back is nicely toned black as you can get and appears never to be cleaned just what you want to see. This paticular badge came from an old collection of officer badges in Pictou and was the only Nova Scotia badge in the lot. Below is a scan of the badge for you to see.

post-23-1097282270.jpg

N.S. Regt

What a great find. Looks to be in excellant condition

marc

Chip

You are correct the badge is lugged on the back.

Marc

It is in fair condition it does show signs of polishing the reverse is as crisp as the day it was made. I did consider a cleaning but I think it would take away from it.

Thanks all for your comments.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

oh no....no cleaning but maybe a polish now and then

superb badge!

Harribobs

Thanks. I may just clean up the old polish residue but other than that I plan to leave it be.

Best regards

N.s.Regt

Dave

The only Highland Brigade material I have picked up are officers badges to the 185th and the 219th they do not work well under the scanner. I need to buy a digital camera. I did manage to pick up four new 25th battalion groups you can see them on your next pass through one was a 193rd man. Will say hi to Wally when I talk to him next. Drop me a Email when you get back do not try to call my number has changed.

Best regards

N.S.Regt