Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Battalion Post Office Rifles, photo, Frederick Cox

Hello,

In the course of researching the 226 names on Sevenoaks War Memorial, I have come across this photo/postcard from Frederick Cox. I believe he is in the photo, although sadly we don't know which soldier he is. The date appears to be autumn 1915 and he writes that they are moving onto Ongar for a course in trenching (I think).

I thought the photo might be of interest to others, who might be able to recognise relatives and I'd be grateful if anyone has any informations or tips on this Battalion?

Many thanks,

Matt

post-97080-0-67103500-1394117448_thumb.j

post-97080-0-35303200-1394117470_thumb.j

The POR history (1914-18) was reprinted as a 48 page booklet by the Imperial War Museum a few years ago. Available from Naval and Military Press at £3.95.

See http://www.naval-military-press.com/history-of-the_post-office-rifles-8th-battalion-city-of-london-regiment-1914-to-1918.html

BTW my Great Uncle Harry Dagley (aka Henry Mays) served with the POR in 1918.

Tony

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just found out my great-grandfather Thomas William Barrable served with the PO Rifles til 1916 when he was discharged due to injury (shell-shock and gunshot wounds to both legs). I don't have a photo of him, so no idea if he's in the photo here, although he was from Stepney - whether that makes any difference? Still finding out more info since just yesterday when I saw him mentioned in another thread on here. Will look up the leaflet listed above (thanks) and the page for more info on the PO Rifles. An Aunt has his discharge papers. He died just two years later, we suspect from his injuries - our grandfather apparently never spoke of him or the First World War, so we'll probably never know for sure.