2/8th Manchester Regiment

GraemeClarke

Morning

I wonder if anyone can help, please, with the

2/8th Battalion, Manchester Regiment for Thursday 2 August 1917

Have absolutely nothing so any little snippet would be most welcome,

Many thanks,

Graeme

Battalion at Nieuport Bains. "A" in right firing line, "C" in left, "B" support, "D" reserve

War diary entry:

"Patrol of 3 men swam Yser and reached enemy second line, returning safely. Weather wet. Casualties - 3 OR killed,, 4 OR wounded."

Hi John,

Many thanks for the above, really appreciate it, especially WD,

WD ties up nicely with the headstones

post-10072-0-68255200-1394027794_thumb.j

Cheers,

Graeme

John,

What a coincidence. One of my Anglesey casualties was 302534 Pte. John Jones, 2/8th Manchester. He was awarded the DCM (L/Gaz. 17th April 1918) "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He volunteered to swim across a river to obtain information, and although he encountered an enemy patrol and working party, he successfully returned with information required." Jones had however died of wounds 13th October 1917 and is buried at Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinghe.

Is it possible that the cross-river Yser patrol you mention was the one involving him? Or were there others of the same sort going on?

SDGW states he was enlisted at Merthyr Tydfil, and next of kin resident Hengoed, Cardiff (also stated in L/Gaz entry). He is commemorated on the Gwalchmai village war memorial in central Anglesey, with a given age of 16. CWGC state 17 but goodness knows what his age was on enlistment.

Clive

Clive

I have a sense that there was fair bit of river crossing going on with any battalion in the line. The Yser was pretty much the No Mans Land at the time so that's what patrols had to do.

John

Thanks John,

Point taken. It's of use to me to know that the unit was on the Yser at Nieuwpoort at that time anyway - with his grave being near Ypres I'd been scratching my head as to the possibility he'd had to cross the Steenbeek or other swollen stream during Third Ypres!

Many thanks

Clive

Thank you Glen, that pitches his exploit on the same night as the patrol in this topic! Wonder if the other two men also got awards?

Clive

• 3 months later...

Hello

I am looking for information on Second Lt George Herbert Stanley Moyce of the 2/8th Manchester's. He was killed 19th April 1918 and I wonder if anyone has the war diary or further info? Grateful for help

Matt