Quandary

ralphjd

20 hours ago, Loader said:

Yes please

20 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Hope this situation

19 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear bif

Seems he must not be in the living room right now ?  Hope nothing, ah, untoward occurred.  He's still active as profile says he was on GWF as recent as 24 March.

Edited by bif

Somewhat of A dilemma!! If it was me I think that I would let him have it, after all its not the relatively small value its the family/sentimental value which for me would be irreplaceable. 

Pals. SO SO Sorry never replied as to the outcome of my post.:angry: Here's how it went - I called on him asking if I could take a picture of the victory medal for my archives  and he said yes, so I took with me the other two medals to place alongside same under the pretence that this is what his group would have looked like before being parted, after taking the photo I said would you believe it these have the same details as your victory medal . holding up the 14-18 star, his face was an absolute picture and tears welled up in his eyes he was completely thunderstruck and totally lost for words as can be imagined . I told how I came about them and what I paid but said he could have them from me no cost as they are now with his family where they belong. He took a while to take it all in and I left him to pass on the information to his brother that all the medals were now "home". Several weeks later he sent me a cheque for more than I paid and despite me not wanting it he was very insistent that I took it. Result :thumbsup:.Ralph

Edited by ralphjd

The mans emotional reaction to the medals tells you that you did the right thing. I also feel that even though you did not want the pyt it was right to take it & allow him the dignity of getting them that way. I may be wrong but I doubt you will see this grp on sale anywhere in the near future. Did you send him a copy of your book too? Glad it all ended well for both of you. Remember, "bread cast upon the waters......",

7 hours ago, The Inspector said:

The answer

7 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Brilliant

12 minutes ago, Loader said:

the dignity

7 hours ago, ralphjd said:

Here's how it went

Ralph,   WOW, what a great story.  Medal group reunited, family gets sought after medals,  you get recomp AND £ to buy another day.  Truly, we are only caretakers.  WELL DONE !

Edited by bif

That's a great story.  It restores my faith in humanity to hear things like this.

Hope I can find someone like ralphjd who might have some of my relatives' medals!

Loader. He purchased a copy of my book which I signed for him, the strange thing is he lives approx 1/2 mile from me and I pass his house every time I venture forth into Rochdale, so the medals have ALMOST been together for a long time just a few yards apart. Thanks to all for your interest . Ralph.

Edited by ralphjd

5 hours ago, ralphjd said:

the strange thing

17 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

That's a great story

17 hours ago, Loader said:

right thing

Cut to Ralph's street on a dark and stormy  lightning filled night.  Key in spooky, scary organ music ....  Nah.  This whole thing is just too good.  The medals were calling to each other.  Think of a sort of historical numismatic Kismet.  It was meant to be.

Bif. It would seem that way, if I had not "caught" him perusing that particular soldier in the proof edition of my book at the very end of the session whilst speaking about it at the Milnrow Lit and Science meeting we would never have come together so to speak. He told me that his brother used to pin the "missing" medals to the lapel of his school jacket as a sort of badge and came home one day without them. They have now come home to him , lets hope the jacket is long gone . Ralph.

Offer it to him and suggest a sufficient donation to The RBL might be an appropriate thank-you?  I am assuming that the cost of Pip, Squeak or Wilfred won't be of harm to your financial health.  I do not wish to come across as somebody who cheerfully spends other people's money.  Not like my dear wife! 😉

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 04:52, ralphjd said:

came home one day without them

How they've managed to travel around would itself make a great story.  Do you know what year they went missing ?  What year did they come to you ?  Do you know how they came to be with the person who sold them to you ?  This could be really fascinating stuff, maybe even an article in Coin & Medal News or some such ???     :thumbsup:

Bif. So many questions :huh: it will take a while to answer but will start with the now owner when next I see him.Ralph.

... and perhaps tactfully suggest that he holds onto them and doesn't let the brother wear them at Remembrance Day parades? ;)

12 hours ago, ralphjd said:

Now there's a thought

18 hours ago, DJM said:

doesn't let the brother wear them

Put the blessed things in a nice, tasteful, presentation box/frame large enough to NOT be misplaced easily and let the whole family take turns carrying them next time.