Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Live shell in a Bristol garden

Seadog

In the local Bristol rag today it looks like a WW1 18pdr shrapnel shell to me and if it is then I reckon someone brought that back from the battlefields then decided it was not a good idea and buried it in the back garden. If I am correct then the Police should start by seeing whether anyone has returned from a trip recently. Any thoughts?. Please ignore silly reporting as this is par for the course with this fish and chip wrapping.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bomb-disposal-experts-called-war-time-artillery/story-20754272-detail/story.html

Norman

Please ignore silly reporting as this is par for the course with this fish and chip wrapping.

Norman

Ah, the Bristol Post, 'The paper that all Bristol asked for and got lumbered with', if I remember the tag line on the top of the first page correctly...

The very same, anyway the fuse looks to be British and appears to be a T & P here is the image

post-21884-0-83704200-1394018158_thumb.j

Norman

The fuse

post-21884-0-75205500-1394018537_thumb.j

Norman

Added: It looks from the driving band that it has been fired and the fuse has taken a whack.

Agree 18 pounder. Shrapnel. British.

TT

Thanks TT just how it got here will remain a mystery but one that should be solvable if the authorities are concerned enough to take the trouble. I may of course be wrong but I doubt that this was brought back by a returning soldier after the war the more likely scenario is that it came back either on a ferry or through the channel tunnel. There is of course a possibility that other "relics" are still with whoever brought this back.

Norman

Good Morning.

First of all how old was the property and garden which it was found in? could it have been brought back by someone after the Great War as a trophy. You never know. It might not have been brought back by someone from the modern era. There were probably irresponsible people about even then.

Regards Andy

That I presume will be something the police will check out if this is taken further.

Regards

Norman

I very much doubt any police investigation will occur. EOD will destroy item and that will be that.

Even if the occupant past or present admitted a visit but denied knowledge of the shell there would be no chance of a case for court.

TT