Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/R Munster Fus - 1916

MDB

A relative of mine was awarded the Military Medal while serving with the 1st Battalion, Royal Munster Fusiliers. It was probably awarded for his actions on 20 August 1916.

A certificate exists signed by c/o of 16th (Irish) Div. commending him for his gallant conduct on the above date and stating that his name and deed will be entered in the Divisional Record. Unfortunately, it gives no indication of what he actually did. It's possible that the MM was awarded for something he did in addition to the above but I'm assuming the two are related.

His award of the MM was announced in the London Gazette of 20 October 1916, WW1 MM citations are not usually available and I haven't been able to access the war diary.

Does anyone know where 1/RMF were on or around 20 August 1916 and what duties they were engaged in? I know they were in action at Guillemont on 3 September and at Ginchy on 9 September, where he was killed in action. A newspaper obituary mentions both the MM and the above certificate but gives no details of why they were awarded.

If anyone can provide details from the War Diary for the period around 20 August and/or 9 September 1916, or provide any other relevant information it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Looks like it was awarded for a trench raid.I refer to the Unit History by McCance.

"A raid on the enemy lines was carried out on the 20th August 1916 byt he battalion in conjunction with other regiments of the brigade.Gas and smoke were discharged and at 11.35 Lt.Carson led out the torpedo party,arriving at the German wire at 11.40 and discharged the torpedo.2/Lt. Callender found that 12 -14 feet of the wire was still uncut and

endeavoured to cut it,but the enemy collected and retaliated with bombs,grenades,machine guns,etc. a lively fight ensued but the party had to retire.Lt.Callender was awarded the MC for his gallantry."

Hello Gentlemen

Many thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

It looks like it probably was the trench raid described in the unit history. Do you know the area where it took place? I don't think they arrived on the Somme until the end of August. Not sure where they were prior to that but possibly the Loos area, I know they were in action there a few months earlier.

Good news about the War Diary, that will certainly be worth looking at.

Thanks once again.

Mike

Minor correction to the above - my relative fought at Loos in April 1916 but he was serving with 9/RMF at the time. He subsequently transferred to 1/RMF, probably in May 1916.

Mike

• 6 months later...