Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lille Gate Guest House, Ypres - still trading?

Chris_Baker

I'm just updating my web page listing accommodation in Ypres. The website for the Lille Gate Guest House is no longer working and I can't find a new address via Google. Is it still trading?

Bedankt, Aurel. That is bad news indeed. But no, it is not the same place. This is the one I had listed: Lille Gate Guest House, Neerstraat 14. Website URL: www.lillegateguesthouse.com.

Thank you RupertDubrecht, I had not connected the name with Chris Lock! I shall ask him.

Chris,

Do you mean Ramparts Museum ?

Two weeks ago on the Dutch WW1 Forum : it will close down definitively

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=31006&highlight=ramparts

Aurel

Does this mean no more peace beer? I had only just discovered it on the last trip as well and was looking forward to another pint next visit.

Chris,

just by chance I have just had a 3 night stay at 14 Neerstraat it is now the Alegria B&B. Run by Luc Neirynck who is new to the B&B game.

I must say I was very impressed, very clean and modern it looks as if has had a complete overhaul. Only one minus though (In my opinion), he has gone for a communal feel which is great if you don't mind sitting around a large table having your breakfast with a load of strangers?

Sajackr

.Only one minus though (In my opinion), he has gone for a communal feel which is great if you don't mind sitting around a large table having your breakfast with a load of strangers?

Sajackr

Works well at Varlet Farm, and many other places I have stayed at in Mainland Europe and UK, does'nt give me a problem.

Regards,

Jon

Chris Lock has informed that Lille Gate Guest House is no longer trading. I'll be removing it from my list. Thank you for the info about Alegria B&B. I will add it in.

Sorry Chris, just picked this up on this site but am glad we were able to sort it via FB. We closed it down in 2010, sold it to our neighbour and havn't looked back. B&B life was not for us however we had some fun times and met some great people who we are good friends with today.

Regarding the Cafe t'klein Rijsel and the contents of the Ramparts war museum and yes I say war museum as that is what Philippe wished it to be known, has been sold to an English gentleman and will be transported to the UK in due course.

As for the cafe itself, Fabienne has given us, we being the Friends of the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient who use the bar as our monthly meeting place notice that she will continue trading as per normal up to and including Armistice Day 2014 and then bye bye.

Whatever next be it cafe, restaurant, house or whatever is in the lap of the Gods.........

Chris

It will be a great shame if the cafe does not find a new owner. it has always been a favourite of mine, and the ideal way to end a walk round the ramparts.

Keith

Depends on what the actual owners wish to do with the building Keith as Fabienne is simply the tenant.

Since speaking with her a few days ago, she is content and very much looks forward to giving it all up and sitting on the other side of the bar for a change! Running a popular bar from morning to dusk is not for many. Fabienne now has a new life with Jan since she lost her great man Philippe and now wishes to chill out and enjoy life. I wish both the very best of luck and happiness as they are really great people!

We are back in the bar with both on Friday evening and I will forward your best wishes onto them....

Chris

Please do Chris, I hope to do so myself before she and Jan move on.

Keith

Wilco and Chris Baker: just remembered that all current legal B&B's, hotels and hostel accommodation is listed on the town web site here: http://www.ieper.be/ Hope this is of assistance to your mission.....

Simply click on the UK flag if required and you should see the accommodation listing. :thumbsup: