The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie helmet info needed

Anzac16

Hi all

last night i go a mail from someone who askt me about a helmet

this is his mail:

Hi

in Belfast recently i obtained this officers uniform and lots of other pieces as well.

he fought in the Boer War and was wounded in the 1stWW he is credited with the introduction of the creeping barrage and the use of gas and smoke shells. He was appointed the commander of the police forces in Ireland including the Black and Tans in 1920.

The helmet i found most unusual and seeing your website and interest in headgear i thought i would send you a picture of the helmet for info

This uniform was worn by the General who commanded the Black and Tans in Ireland in the 1920s during the war with Michael Collins and the I.R.A

it probaly is the most important artifact to have turned up in recent times as Major General Tudor left his family in England to live a soliltry life in Newfoundland in 1925 till his death in 1965, the uniforms have been in the attic of a large house in London and have only come to light recently. There are photographs of Major General Tudor wearing the uniform in Dublin in 1921 inspecting a line of Black and Tans so it has a lot of significence for this part of the world. I spoke to the curator of the Royal Artillary this morning and he was quite taken back after seeing the photos of the helmet and uniforms, Tuder himself is credited for the creeping barrage tactics and the use of gas and smoke shells as well as being a personal friend of sir Winston Churchill.

So you probaly will understand the importance of the collection. If you can add any details to the helmet that would be great, the camaflage is barely visible now but it is without doubt original. Looking at Tudors other items he seems to have went his own way with everything including his holster. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

This is the helmet

cid_XMA1.jpg

cid_XMA2.jpg

cid_XMA3.jpg

cid_XMA4.jpg

To me it looks like a First model the A model

with an private purchase liner

but the wierd thing is that its got camo colors

i never saw a British "Brodie" with this camo

Does anyone can say more about this helmet?

Anzac16,

The helmet is a very rare experimental Type-B (second pattern Helmet). These helmets were ordered on 11th September 1915 to the initial number of 50 helmets which were completed on 25 September with an additional 50 following by 30 September 15. Issue began the 1st week of October. I only believe that 100 were ever officially made (delivered to the War Office). The experimental type A were issued in parallel and were accepted as standard.

The Machine rivet on the bail is correct, it should not have split rivets, unless added after manufacture.

This helmet is relined by a private firm for officers, or from a shell that did not get accepted by the War Office and was then let loose through private sail.

The camo pattern is not IAW what Brodie recommended and is my guess a much later addition (that is late war to Ireland--German insired?).

Very rare shell

Joe Sweeney

Anzac16,

Type A and Type B specifically refer to the two competing experimental patterns developed in Aug-Sept 1915 and manufactured in extremely low numbers.

After trials (actually before the trials began) the type A was accepted as standard with a slight change in dome shape and became known as "Brodies Steel Helmet War Office Pattern".

The War Office Pattern is the Rimless your thinking of.

This pattern was changed in April 1916 by the addition of a rim and new pattern liner and Chinstrap. It was designated as Helmet Steel MkI in Sept. 1916 after the introduction of the helmet with chainmail visor which for a short period became Helmet Steel MkII.

I too have heard of the the A pattern being the rimless and B being the MkI and that is what I assumed you meant. Those designations I believe are the product of dealers and collectors not really knowing (doing any real research) what they have and thus making up designations.

Joe Sweeney