Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Insignia above chevrons

Barry Williams

Any help in identifying the insignia above the chevrons of this WW1 Soldier of the DLI would be most appreciated.post-3081-0-74477100-1393868393_thumb.jp

Thanks Craig and Jules

This is Joseph Hall's MIC which I downloaded from Ancestry

Barry

post-3081-0-98753500-1393891770_thumb.jp

The crown above the three chevrons denotes Colour Sejeant in the Infantry with the normal appointment for that rank being CQMS when the Infantry reduced to four companies.The badge between crown and chevrons is not clear but some regiments and corps had a badge in that position such as a Gun in the RA. A DLI or Light infantry badge expert may know what it is.

Hi,

I am not sure you have the right man.

The MIC is for a Kitchener man who enlisted 22/3/15 and was discharged 31/10/16 and only served overseas with 15/DLI.

The man in the photo is wearing collar badges which would put it as taken after the war.

In all the photo's I have or have seen of the DLI I have never seen Kitchener battalions wearing collar badges except those wearing Pioneer pick and rifle.

I think you are looking for a band sergeant of 1st or 2nd DLI in the 1920's.

regards

John

Thanks to all above for the interesting replies, with special thanks to Tyneside Chinaman for sharing his expertise in the field of all things DLI

I now feel as though I know which direction to restart my search in

Regards Barry

I think you will find that it is a double bugle.

It was worn in various forms by colour sergeants and bugle majors of light infantry and rifle regiments.

post-599-0-30994100-1394622792_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-45489400-1394622841_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post FROGSMILE, and apologies for the late reply which was partially due to my inability to set up notifications.

However I am sure you are right in identifying the badge as a double bugle, this has bothered me for some time, but no longer.

So once again thank you to you and the posters above.

Barry