Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Clement Rolfe Ingleby RFC

Guest FE2b

Dear Great War Forum reader.

I've been going through my Grandfather's documents, medals etc relating to his time as Captain of 20 RFC squadron based at St Marie-Cappel, N. France (Captain Harold Leslie Satchell M.B.E, who was responsible for the shooting down of Karl Emil Shaefer on 5th June 1917) and found two photos of an observer who some researchers were discussing on this site back in 2010. One Major Rolfe Clement Ingleby (RFC Observer) , famous for his poem "Per Adua Ad Astra". I thought it would be nice if they had an image of the fellow to help with their research efforts!

Attached are two photos snapped by my Grandfather in the Winter of 1917. They were both taken whilst he was recuperating from 'nervous exhaustion' (PTSD?) at Hillington Hall, Norfolk (now sadly demolished). He notes on the reverse of the photos that Major Ingleby had recently escaped German imprisonment in Holland.

1. Major C.Ingleby at window, Huntington Hall, near Sandrigham Estate, Norfolk. Winter 1917.

2 Captain Thomas Falcon Hazell MC (foreground-profile) and Major Ingleby (back ground) relaxing in the study at Hillington Hall, Norfolk. Winter 1917.

He seems to have met and often taken carefully annotated photographs of a number of well known fellow fliers at the time including Capt. Thomas Falcon Hazell (MC DSO DFC), Lt Richard Trevethon, Lt Archie Jencs, Lt William Charles Cambray (MC) and Captain H.E Bagot (7th Baron Bagot).

Are there any Great war Forum readers/researchers interested in seeing these? I will happily upload them to this site (?) for general research purposes. I would imagine these are pretty rare images to people who have largely disappeared into the mists of time.

Kind regards

Dominic Gribbin (Grandson of Capt. Harold Leslie Satchell MBE)

post-107774-0-76906100-1393845159_thumb.

post-107774-0-16528200-1393845174_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Dear Dominic

I just stumbled across your post whilst looking for information regarding Ingleby's father, Holcombe, the MP for King's Lynn from 1910 to1918. As you may know, together with Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn were the first towns in Britain to be bombed by Zeppelins in January 1915.

Holcombe was convinced that the King's Lynn Zeppelin had been guided to its targets by spies in cars and caused no end of trouble in the Commons and the Press trying to prove his theory. His private papers are in the Imperial War Museum and were an excellent read. They also refer to his son's internment in the Netherlands in 1914 and subsequent escape.

I am in the midst of writing an article on the first Zeppelin raid and I was wondering if it would be possible to include the picture of Major Ingleby - you'll be "mentioned in dispatches" (an acknowledgement!) if it's published. Of course, if you have any further information/images re Ingleby, I'd love to see these.

Kind regards

David

• 2 months later...

Hi David.

Apologies for the massive delay in replying. Yes, by all means. Feel free to use the photo of Major CR Ingleby RFC for your research purposes. Delighted if the photo is of use to you.

Regards

Dominic.

Hi David.

Apologies for the huge delay in replying. Yes, by all means. Feel free to use the photo of Major CR Ingleby RFC for your research purposes. Delighted if the photo is of use to you.

Regards

Dominic.

• 3 years later...

Dominic hasn't been back, it seems, but  in case he still gets notifications: I would just like to say  I'm very sorry I missed  this and thank you for posting!  I have now provided a link from the other thread you mentioned to this one.

I live on the site of the house  in Eastbourne where Major Ingleby was born, and it was doing the house history that led me to his family.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne
Add link to other thread

• 1 year later...

Hope Dominic comes back- I just found his pictures on the aerodrome and I've just worked out my GF was at Hillington so these pics are great. In fact when I first scrolled down I thought he was looking for an ID for the first picture and my first thought was OMG that's my grand father- because it looks so very like him ! But obviously it isn;t :-)

But Dominic if you come back I would love to see any other photos you might have of Hillington Hall.

Edited by Madmeg

Ditto from me.  The Ingleby family had long-term connections with Ilford, in East London-where they owned  Valentin'es House and Park -of which my son's mutt is a very great fan. Redbridge Local Studies and Archives hold a great deal of information on the Inglebys, including a substantial deposit of family papers in the last decade. Much stuff on Ingleby's father, including his  journals, much on Norfolk and,further back on the Birmingham connections of the family.