Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Body Armour

trenchtrotter

My latest aquisition. Had to trade to get it. Hated letting things go but needs must. Made by Krupp, has their logo on upper plate below breast plate. Superb finish as original paint remains. All pads and canvas straps to rear. Circa 1917.

TT

post-15846-0-10711000-1393772567_thumb.j

And in action / period pictures....

post-15846-0-11823400-1393773022_thumb.j

post-15846-0-48843900-1393773052_thumb.j

TT,

Great WW1 item to own, and not at all easy to come by.

From memory, the British soldiers shown wearing the German body armour were from the Manchester Regiment.

Regards,

LF

Irish Guards I believe?

TT

Irish Guards I believe?

TT

TT,

Yes, Irish Guards, Pilckem Ridge, 31st July, 1917.

I knew my memory was fading !

Here is another photo of British soldiers ( perhaps they were from Manchester ) sorting through a pile of German body armour.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-33559800-1393777698_thumb.j

LF,

Not seen that image before, thanks for posting......

Makes you wonder, is my set in that pile???????? Probably not.

TT

Thanks centurion, comical photo of Americans.

Considering 500,000 sets were made they dont turn up often. How many were scrapped, captured or buried I wonder?

TT

TT,

Super item!! Any chance of a shot of the inside with pads and straps?

thanks

Mark

Very nice item. Looks slightly larger than mine (size 2 stencil on inner breast plate). Is yours a larger size? I dont know if you intend permanent display like that but beware of the stresses on the canvas straps.

Two in a week!!!! Like the number 11 bus.

Regards

TT

trenchtrotter,

Congratulations on your acquisition. Certainly the best I have seen. For what it is worth, you will find photos of it at page 12of "Helmets of the First World War".

As to what became of the vast majority of the sets of armour manufactured I imagine the majority in German hands at the end of

the war were destroyed under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles. However, it does seem that quite a number were brought back as souvenirs. Some, however, ended up as in the attached photos and were, no doubt, scrapped.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-38624100-1393857799_thumb.j

post-53132-0-19317100-1393857819_thumb.j

Michael thanks. Is the breast plate you have shown the very first pattern issued before lowering the neck guard and shaping the sides?

TT

trenchtrotter,

Yes, I think so. I attach a photo of the right side. The shoulder pieces are missing - one of them severed by a shell splinter -but you will see that the side goes almost straight down and would be very restrictive if any significant movement was required.

My last post should have said page 120. I attach a photo in case it is of interest.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-20344300-1393862230_thumb.j

post-53132-0-93226800-1393862246_thumb.j

Michael,

Many thanks. I have the book and the latter two volumes you co - authored. Excellant books and very good photos etc....just needyour autograph now.

TT

• 2 weeks later...

My set. Later pattern and has the butt stock wall. I believe there were three types of body armour. This has its helmet brow plate too. Both have the stamped address 'send home' labels!1 Gosh post was so reliable then!

[/url]">DSC07384_zpsa3574267.jpg[/url]

DSC07376_zpscc9fdaaf.jpg[/url]

DSC07363_zpsd71472d9.jpg[/url]

DSC07361_zps1cb2185b.jpg[/url]

Mark thanks for images. Your set is superb. With cammo finish you have to be so careful but with those post labels added there is no doubting the finish.

Re patterns, yes I agree three types and between us we have posted images of each pattern.

Where do you source your images? Great pics as ever.

TT